The Everyday College Fashionista: 5 Tips for Fashion Emergencies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Every girl loves fashion. From our favorite jeans to our comfortable shirts to those one pair of shoes that we can’t part with, fashion is everything! But we also all have fashion emergencies. From stains and clothes being too tight and worn out, clothes can be ruined in an instant. Luckily, there are a few tips to help salvage your clothes from a disaster. Here are 5 tips to help rescue your clothes from fashion emergencies! 

1. Spray hairspray on tights to prevent runs.

Tights have made a major comeback in the fashion world. But tights can get runs in them and easily be destroyed. There is one fashion hack that can easily solve this problem… hairspray! Before putting on your tights, simply mist a little hairspray on them. Voila! 

2. Stretch out tight shoes with sandwich bags filled with water.

There’s always that one pair of shoes that are too tight. Rather than tossing them, use water and a Ziploc bag!

Fill the bags with water and place them in the shoes. Place the shoes in the freezer overnight. Take them out of the freezer and allow them to thaw out.

Try on the shoes to see if they’re comfortable. If they’re still a little too tight, repeat the process until the ideal and most comfortable size is reached! You can do this with any shoe, from flats to heels. A fashion hack made in shoe heaven!

3. Use a hair straightener to iron clothes.

We all remember this infamous scene from The Hills when Lauren flat ironed her skirt before her interview with Teen Vogue. Believe or not, this fashion hack is a simple way to get wrinkles out of your clothes in a short amount of time!

Place your straightener on low to medium heat and go over your wrinkled clothes. Your flat iron now doubles as a hair straightener and personal iron!

4. Put jeans in the freezer to get rid of odor.

Got a pair of jeans that you absolutely love? Washing your jeans over and over can cause them to shrink and fade. An alternative is to place your jeans in the freezer.

Place jeans in the freezer overnight. Allow them to thaw. The cold air will remove the odor from your jeans. Now, you can clean your jeans without constantly washing them!

5. Use baby powder to remove oil stains from clothes.

Pizza stains on your favorite shirt? Oil sheen stuck on your skirt? Baby powder is one of the most effective ways to soak up oils from clothes! Sprinkle some baby powder on clothes 30 minutes before washing them in order to remove the stain. You have now saved your clothes without all the hassel!

There you have it. Five tips for fashion emergencies. You can use these tricks to help save your clothes and keep money in your pocket!

Hey, everyone. My name is Ashlea Danielle. I'm 22. Senior at Valdosta State University. #TeamScorpio #BlazerNation
Her Campus at Valdosta State.