3 Things to Do Before Applying to Grad School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

While graduate school, may not be for everybody, some of us will be ready to take that next step in our education soon after undergrad. Here are a few things you need to do before and during the time you start applying to graduate school.

1. Do your research.

Picking a grad school is a very important process. Unlike choosing where you would go for undergrad, choosing the perfect graduate school requires you to look at more than just the school’s “night life.” Hopefully, your priorities have evolved enough over the past four years that this wouldn’t even be a factor. There are a number of important things to take into consideration when looking for the right grad school. The most important factor is finding the right school for your field. You should make a list of at least five of your top grad schools for your major. Other factors you have to take into consideration may include the cost, program requirements, the school’s reputation and ranking, among other things. Make sure that you begin researching grad schools well before you approach graduation, because it can be a lengthy process.

2. Take the GRE.

Before you even think to apply to whatever grad school you have in mind, you first need to consider whether you will need to take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) or something similar. Make sure that you have enough time to study and take the test well ahead of your deadline so that you’ll have a chance to retake it if your test scores aren’t up to par. If you are applying for medical or law school, chances are you will not need to take the GRE, but there are other tests specifically for med and law students to take.

3. Beef up your network.

When it comes to your career, the phrase, “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know” is true in the fact that it’s just as important to know people as it is to know other things. Although, having the perfect resume and credentials can be great tools to have, networking is certainly a key component in helping you get where you want to be. The next time you’re at an important event or job fair at your school, you should definitely try to make some connections. You should also try to get to know the faculty at the graduate school you plan to attend. You never know who might be able to offer you some valuable career advice or help you land a job. It’s always nice to have people around you who have experience where you don’t. Plus, it’s just good to have friends in high places that wouldn’t mind writing you a letter of recommendation.

Above all else, just make sure you are mentally prepared to take this next step in your academic career. Grad school will take a lot of dedication and hard work, but it could be well worth it in the end. Research your options, get your tests and other documents in order, and build your network. These are just a few steps to get you started. Once you have prepared yourself mentally and physically for this transition, all that’s left to do is stay motivated and get your degree!

Hey lovelies! I am a junior Mass Media major at Valdosta State University. I love writing, fashion and hair, and dancing and singing in the mirror!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.