The Ultimate Bedtime Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Tired of being tired? Chances are, and I’m probably right, you’re stressed out and you aren’t getting enough sleep. You’re not alone collegiette, the national average of people between the ages of 20-34 who reported to have higher daily stress levels is 20-25%! The key is to balance your time. I know you’ve heard this a million and one times before, but that simply means to plan your day according to your needs and goals. The ultimate night routine depends on you achieving your homework goals for the day, so get to work.

Step 1: Choose your time to unwind.

You know yourself better than anyone, so you know how much sleep you need to function. Prepare to start the night time routine hopefully 2 hours before you want to sleep, but at least one hour in advance. Yes, it sounds like time you could spend doing homework, but you need this time to relax and call it a night.

Step 2: Get your pre-bed hygiene routine done (two hours/ one hour before sleep time).

If you’re a night shower taker, or a bubble bather like me, now is your time! Brush your teeth, comb your hair, and wash your face. Make this a routine, so that each night your body understands that it’s almost time to go to sleep. Make sure your alarm is set now.

Step 3: Get comfy in bed (one hour/ half hour before sleep time).

Throw on your favourite PJs, arrange your pillows the way you like, and put down your phone/tablet/laptop for the night. Electronics are the worst thing to be on before you want to go to sleep. Start your unwind time to make sleep come effortlessly. Make a cup of camomile tea, read a book or get ahead on readings (Note: do not plan to do your assigned readings for the next day at this time, that puts pressure on getting the readings done rather than relaxing and reading). Or, turn on your TV and watch an episode of whatever’s on.

Step 4: Stick to lights out.

Lights out doesn’t have to be a  set time on the dot, but it should be when you begin to feel tired, especially at a  time where you can  give  yourself enough sleep for the next day!  

Step 5: Lights out and regular breathing.

Regulate your breathing but don’t focus on it. Make your mind blank if that works, or think up a story. You’ll be out like a baby in no time.

Or, depending on the time in the semester, you could spend your entire night at Leddy doing that thing you should have 3 weeks ago, while living off of coffee and Redbull.  Maybe you’ll get 3 hours of sleep for the night, if you’re lucky. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bryanna Millben

Laurier Brantford '20

Hi! I'm a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English with a minor in History, and the Campus Correspondent/President for HC Laurier Brantford. I have a super sweet golden retriever named Marley, and aspire to work in Public Relations.