Introducing Soul Train the Campus Celebrity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Name: RJ Soul Train Sivanesan

Program: Industrial Engineering, Business Minor

Year: 3rd

Hometown: Toronto (Scarborough)

“Before I answer the questions I would like to say that I hate talking about myself and that the best way to get to know about me is through those around me. Furthermore I would like to thank Her Campus and Bryanna for interviewing me. I would like to say that I don’t see myself as a well-known person on campus but rather just another person on campus who just says hi to everyone and loves to listen to people and ask questions!” – Soul Train

You’re starting to become very well known on campus, but what do you actually do?

That’s a great question. I don’t really know what I actually do to be honest. I mean, other than being in engineering at the U of Windsor and being a member of the Lancer Cheerleading Team, I don’t really do much else. I am always on campus working on something or helping someone out. I used to be the Vice President Student Services of the UWSA until I was asked to resign. While I had that role on campus, I was in charge of events on campus such as Windsor Welcome Week Tent Parties as well as the Coming Home Music Festival which was put on by the UWSA. One thing I like to pride myself on is that I will help anyone who asks for help and am always up for a new experience.

What’s it like being the only male cheerleader?

I don’t really know how to answer this question. I have never been a male cheerleader before this year. The main reason I joined was because my friend Regina who was on the team said I should try out and I loved the work ethic and the technicality involved in Cheerleading. The team is great and I have the utmost respect and love for the team for taking me in as a cheerleader and for showing me the ropes!

How would you like to be involved with the school in the future?

Honestly, I have no idea. I will always say yes to new opportunities even if they don’t seem the most attractive to others! I would like to stay involved and be a resource for students to ask questions and hopefully provide answers about how to make the most of the University of Windsor and all it has to offer. I am always there for people if they need someone to talk to or even just someone to listen.

What are your goals? What do you plan to do after you graduate?

You sound like my aunts and uncles! Just ask me if I have a wife yet and you’ll sound just like them! In all fairness my goals are pretty simple; graduate with a degree in industrial engineering and go into the workforce. I would love to get involved in politics, if the opportunity presents itself, and maybe one day be the Prime Minister of Canada. Even if that doesn’t happen, I just want to have a decent job, a loving family, and be able to provide for them!

What is your best memory at UWindsor?

I haven’t really experienced everything that UWindsor has to offer, but from what I have done so far one of the best things is that Dr. Alan Wildeman – President and Vice-Chancellor of the University – calls me Soul Train and knows me by no other name! Seriously though, the people have been what makes me enjoy the campus and the university. From the ethnic diversity and unique personalities, to the different experiences and life lessons students on campus have taught me, I can never get enough of people and that’s what inspires me to meet as many people and talk to anyone who is willing to have a conversation!

Bryanna Millben

Laurier Brantford '20

Hi! I'm a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English with a minor in History, and the Campus Correspondent/President for HC Laurier Brantford. I have a super sweet golden retriever named Marley, and aspire to work in Public Relations.