Being OK with Growing Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

“Today is the oldest you’ve ever been, and the youngest you’ll ever be again.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

Growing up is weird. Years ago we couldn’t wait to grow up, and here we are holding onto the remains of our childhood. I know we’re still young, but we’re not exactly adolescent nightmares anymore. We’re semi-matured wine, old enough to know not to party until dawn, but young enough to do it anyway… even if you have an assignment due the next day.

What I’m trying to say is, we’re learning how to be OK with growing up. You may say to yourself that you’re OK with it, and while that’s fine, you still miss the simplicity of 5-10 years ago. Is anyone really OK with growing up? I mean, I guess we don’t really have time to adjust, ever, because time still goes, it still ticks on and on. Our job is to learn how to make the most of today, because we may not get a tomorrow, and tomorrow we may miss today. Everyday comes and goes, and that’s what we need to prepare for because down the road we’ll miss this time in our lives. Cue Trace Adkin’s “You’re Gonna Miss This”.

It’s hard being OK with getting older sometimes; you miss your parents making your lunch for you, you miss being obsessed with Harry Potter, you miss when your biggest problem was not knowing if your crush likes you back. But one thing i’ve learned is that you can’t let the fear of growing up prevent you from experiencing the now. Because let’s face it, you’re going to grow up anyway.

Growing up doesn’t mean you lose the things you love to do, it means you gain more wisdom to appreciate them. Growing up is scary, but these are supposed to be the best years of our lives, so let’s make the most of them!

Bryanna Millben

Laurier Brantford '20

Hi! I'm a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English with a minor in History, and the Campus Correspondent/President for HC Laurier Brantford. I have a super sweet golden retriever named Marley, and aspire to work in Public Relations.