Approaching Mental Health on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Approaching Mental Health on Campus

Mental health is a highly-discussed subject on campus by both students and administration. There is always talk of the problem, but there are few solutions with real objectives. 1 in 5 Canadians will experience mental health issues in their lifetime (Fast Facts, CMHA).  18.1% of students have been professionally diagnosed or treated for mental health issues in 2016. According to the Canadian Reference Group (Executive Summary, CACUSS), approximately one-fifth of the student population is using mental health services, so how can the University help?

1. More Staff for More Students

` As a student who has used the mental health services, it took me about two weeks to get my first initial appointment.  I sat in public discussion recently and the presentation made the point “it is easier to get you out of the ditch than a pit”. This was a great analogy of how important it is to seek mental health assistance during the early stages of mental illness so that recovery can be easier. If students get appointments at a faster rate, especially at first, then their mental health can be aided in a timely matter;this will reduce the chance that the mental health issues will worsen. Increased frequency of appointments also helps students because they can receive the treatment they need as often as required.

1. Ending Stigma

The world is more accepting than ever of mental health, but there is still a lot of progress to be made. One way in which we could end the stigma is working with different mental health groups on campus and do a mental health workshop. We would first give a presentation towards students that came out about issues that students with mental health have to deal with. Then we could break off into smaller groups and have facilitators lead groups in which students will be able to open up about their mental health. If you see a fellow student struggling with mental health issues, you need to  realize that this is a serious matter that needs to be dealt with. This event would also give awareness to the different services that are on campus when dealing with mental health such as the peer support center, student counseling, and others that help students with their mental health.

1. Bringing in experts

An expert can be a leading academic in the field of mental health or a prominent activist in the area; these people have experience in ways of dealing with the issues of mental health. Having them do a panel discussion or a presentation are significant ways from them to reach students and give a better understanding of mental health.

Works Cited

1. “Fast Facts about Mental Illness.” Canadian Mental Health Association. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Mar. 2017.

2. American College Health Association. “Canadian Reference Group- Executive Summary Report.” Canadian Association of College and University Services. National College Health Association, 07 Sept. 2016. Web. 10 Mar. 2017.