New Year, New Goals: My 2021 Resolutions

At the beginning of a new year, I often find myself dreaming of a better self. I make a rough list of resolutions, and hope to achieve them without much planning. As you can imagine, this lack of structure  hasn’t really worked out for me in the past. I often work really hard on my goals for the first few months, but then I get busy with classes, and life which ends up with me just pushing my goals aside. I want to change this. I want to be able to feel accomplished and see that when I set my mind on something, I can achieve it. 

2020 was a hard year for us all, I lost a lot of my motivation, work ethic and patience; I hope to gain that back this new year. This year, I have the same goal as all past ones I want to better myself. Specifically, I want to take good care of both my mental and physical health, and spend more time with my sister. I want to broaden my horizons, learn more about the world and life; I want to become more open to new ideas and productively working on achieving what I desire.  

Over the past few days, I have been thinking about how I can ensure that this year is different than past ones. I needed to come up with a way to ensure that I am able to accomplish all the goals. With this in mind, I was able to come up with a few measurable goals that will be easy to keep track of and help me feel motivated.

1. 1. Reading 

Growing up, I loved reading; so much that I’d finish books in mere hours. I can’t say this is still true as I went from finishing multiple books a week, to barely any within a year. It’s not that I don’t like reading; I still do but it’s just that I have no time to dedicate to the activity. Therefore, I hope to change this. In order to change this habit, I am set on completing at least one book per month this year; I plan on accomplishing this goal by setting aside an hour (whether it be all at once or split up) each day to dedicate to reading. I also hope to daily read one or two articles in the weekly magazine, The Economist

I have already begun my first books of the year: A Promised Land, by Barack Obama. 

2. 2. Music

albums

I enjoy listening to music, specifically ones that have beautiful lyrics. I really love listening to artists such as Taylor Swift, Lana Del Rey, Halsey, and Ed Sheeran. I hope to expand the spectrum of artists I listen to, as I have found myself turning to the same (few) comforting voices for the past years. I want to see what else is out there. 

I know I love lyrically rich songs, so I found a list of the “100 Greatest Songwriters of All Time.” I plan on following this list, researching a bit about each writer and listening to them. I’m not sure how many I’ll be able to get through, but I think that hoping to get through 20 different artists by the end of June is a possibility.

3. 3. Health 

Silhouette of woman doing yoga at sunset

The year of 2020 really took a toll on both my mental and physical health; I’ve barely moved in months, as most of my time has been spent sitting in front of my laptop working on college work; I hope to change this routine this year. I know how important it is to keep our health in check, and the big difference it can make in our day-to-day life. 

I used to be an avid runner so I can’t expect to hop on a treadmill after months of no physical activity and knock out a few miles; this is why I plan to start a bit slower. However, I still want to increase the number of steps I get daily. I imagine this can be achieved if I start by hopping on the treadmill every two hours or so for about 10 to 15 minutes. I hope to be able to jog a mile by the end of January, and a 5k by the end of March. 

I still haven’t really figured out how I want to make sure I stay on top of my mental health, but I think this will have to do with balancing my workload and setting time aside to relax and recharge when I need to. 

4. 4. Eating Habits 

Healthy food

Health and eating habits come hand in hand. I know eating habits can make a big difference on the outcome of our health, so I can’t say that I’ll be really good about my physical health by exercising more and then refuse to change my eating habits. Plain and simple, I need to revisit my eating habits. I don’t necessarily eat unhealthy meals; I just have large portions and snack a lot.  I know I can’t just tell myself that I won’t snack because that’s not how it works (believe me, I’ve tried it before). This is why I hope to replace my unhealthy snacks with healthier options: nuts and fruits. 

I have also considered becoming vegetarian or vegan, because of all the pros that way of life provides; it’s better for the environment, animals and people. People claim that such drastic changes to their diets have changed their lives for the better; however, I am still skeptical so I plan to research more about both before I dive headfirst into either.

5. 5. Education

Arnel Hasanovic Mnd

Over the course of 2020, I felt like I got a little lost and overwhelmed by my education workload. By taking into account how drastic Zoom university is, compared to the in-person lectures. Despite all these challenges I’m facing in college right now, I do hope to get back on track this year; I know that I am capable of being successful in all of the classes I take. I want to be 100% committed to my classes. As I have learned that I am most successful when I have a set schedule for myself. Therefore, I’m going to create one plan and stick to it because having a daily routine helps me stay on track. 

6. 6. Her Campus 

grateful journal

As a Co-President of Her Campus at the University of Washington Bothell, I want to do all that I can to see our chapter thrive. I want to do the work required to get our chapter to the Diamond level by the end of the year. I want to inspire and encourage our members to publish pieces that they are proud of. Personally, I hope to publish an article every two weeks. I plan on offering all the support our Editorial Board requires to ensure that we are able to put five articles each week.

The Lazy Artist Gallery

I acknowledge that these are a lot of goals and plans for me to achieve this year, but I am confident that with the commitment and dedication, I will be able to achieve all my goals for 2021. One of the things I have struggled over the past years is holding myself accountable so I considered how I could to this best, and I did some research about it. Surprisingly, a really good way to keep oneself committed and inspired is by posting your goals and dreams for the world to see; that’s exactly why I’m writing this article. In addition to this piece, I plan on writing an honest, monthly update of where I am with my resolutions. Where am I succeeding? Where am I falling short? And what are some improvements that I can make throughout this journey.

By using this platform provided by Her Campus, I hope I am able to hold myself accountable. I hope that this piece inspires you to stick with your own goals and resolutions for the new year. I believe in you. What is desired often requires hard work and dedication, but at the end, the work and sacrifices are always worth it.