Clothesline Project at UW-Stout Campus and in the Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM)

University of Wisconsin-Stout students are breaking the silence and raising awareness in the month of April against sexual assault. Students in Dr. Susan Wolfgram’s Abuse and the Family class at the University of Wisconsin-Stout collaborated with the Bridge to Hope in Menomonie, to increase sexual assault awareness on campus and in the community. The Clothesline Project began in 1990 in Massachusetts after members of the Cape Cod Women’s Agenda hung shirts designed by survivors of assault, rape, and incest. The goal of this project is to allow women survivors of sexual assault the opportunity to have a voice by decorating a shirt that will then be hung in their community. This traveling art is a collective testimony that shows the prevalence of sexual violence in our own community and the need for individuals to take a stand and help make our society a safer place.

The shirts will be on display at various locations in Menomonie throughout the month of April. Project group members include: Alissabeth Schmidt (Project Manager), Anna Theiler, Tonya Koskovich, Ashley Gibson, and Hannah Bolda.

Any questions contact: schmidta9801@my.uwstout.edu, Alissabeth Schmidt (Student Project Manager)

Shirt display will be located at:

April 1st – April 8th

Menomonie Library

600 Wolske Bay Road

Menomonie, WI

April 8th – April 13th

Memorial Student Center

University of Wisconsin – Stout

Menomonie, WI 54751

April 13th – April 17th 

Heritage Hall

632 Broadway Street S.

Menomonie, WI 54751

April 17th – April 20th

Acoustic Cafe

102 Main Street W.

Menomonie, WI 54751

April 20th – April 27th

April 25th Take Back The Night

The Raw Deal

603 Broadway Street S. 

Menomonie, WI, 54751

April 27th-April 30th

Red Cedar Hospital

2321 Stout Road

Menomonie, WI 54751

Jackie is currently a UW-Stout junior pursing a major in Professional Communications and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism, working towards a career in Public Relations. Jackie is the Campus Correspondent, as well as a Feature and Campus Celebrity writer for the UW-Stout chapter. Originally from the east coast, Jackie has lived in the unfavorably cold state of Minnesota for most of her life. She enjoys blogging, music, spending time with her friends and family, cheering on her favorite MA sports teams, comedies, and simply getting up and being active. Jackie has many plans and aspirations, but has just begun her future as a writer.
Her Campus at UW-Stout