Life > Experiences

8 Reasons Why You Should Stay In Burlington This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

I know it can be hard to come to terms with the semester ending and leaving the home you have made here in Burlington. However, you don’t have to leave just yet. With leases turning over June 1st, newly off-campus students will be moving in, and summer will be in full swing. Summer in Burlington is truly one of a kind. There are so many things to do, opportunities to further your career, and as much fun as one can dream of. 

I have spent the past two summers in Burlington as an undergrad and before committing to UVM, my family would spend a few weeks in Burlington each summer. I can attest to how fun and enjoyable summers are here with a combined eight summers of experience. Here are my top 8 reasons why you should stay in Burlington this summer:

1. The great outdoors

Looking for a one way ticket to curing your seasonal depression? Look no further to the great outdoors in Burlington. Most of the summer, everyone is outside doing something. With the sun at its strongest in Burlington, there is no better place or time to be outside and absorb all the vitamin-D that you can. With hiking, events, concerts, and community gatherings outside, you will never be bored enjoying the summer air.

1. The beaches

Leddy Park and North Beach are popular places for college kids to hang out. With season-long student passes at $35, it is an inexpensive way to get outside, go swimming, and spend all day doing nothing. If you enjoyed going to the beach that one weekend where it was 70 every day, imagine that every day of the summer. These beaches are the perfect environment to relax, meet new people, and hang out with your friends.

1. Sporting Events

In Vermont, collegiate level sports are king. Over the summer, there are two fantastic programs that have games all summer long. The Vermont Lake Monsters are a summer collegiate baseball team for D1, D2, and D3 athletes to stay in shape during the off-season. They have won the Futures League Championship in 2021, and they are hosting the Futures League All-Star Game on July 25th. Vermont Green is a soccer club with collegiate athletes just like the Lake Monsters. Both of these programs are only around over the summer and you won’t want to miss their games.

Link to the Vermont Lake Monsters schedule and tickets: https://vermontlakemonsters.com/tickets/schedule/

Link to the Vermont Green schedule and tickets: https://vermontgreenfc.com/schedule/

1. Burlington Farmers’ Market

One of my favorite highlights of the summer is getting fresh, local eats from the Burlington Farmers’ market and BTV Market. Each taking place downtown every Saturday, it’s the only place to buy local veggies, fruit, meat, dairy products, baked goods, and art. Keeping your food local helps small businesses and makes each dish you make just that much better.

1. Building a closer bond with your friends

Since the number of students who stay over the summer is smaller, those who stick around form stronger bonds with friends. My current friends and I spent last summer together in Burlington, and it was the first time I could celebrate their birthdays with them. By the end of the summer, every college kid knows everyone else who stayed here and built relationships no college semester could.

1. Enjoying Burlington without classes

Although academics and extracurriculars are great, sometimes they get in the way of really enjoying what Burlington has to offer. With a copious amount of free time, you now have the option to go to events you missed out on during the school year and become an active part of the community. Discover new things to do, check off your Burlington bucket list, eat at that restaurant you want to try, and finally relax.

1. Internship opportunities galore

Looking to further your career? Burlington is the place to do it. Every business, organization, company, and opportunity is very active in the community over the summer. You gain experience in your career area, go to awesome events, and network with the entire Burlington business world. It’s an opportunity to take advantage of when you have the time this summer.

1. Living on your own

Living in an apartment is a huge transition from dorm life. It might be scary, but over the summer you can do a “trial run” for three months before classes. Learn how to cook, bond with your roommates, divide up chores, and figure out how many quarters you need to do laundry. This dry run will teach you a lot about how to live with others and prepare you to deal with living off campus before school starts. Also, who doesn’t love a little freedom?

Honestly, summer in Burlington is a one of a kind experience that I cannot recommend enough. The memories that I cherish the most over the past 4 years of college come from the summers I spent here. I wish that you will take my advice and find a sublease or change your summer plans to be up here this summer.

Jessica is a Senior at the University of Vermont studying Public Communications and Political Science. She loves all things sports and is excited to bring this angle to Her Campus UVM. Besides just loving sports, she is pursuing a career in sports social media and marketing post graduation. Her hobbies include doing the New York Times daily mini crossword in under 1 minute, baking her mom's brownie recipe, and fundraising for RALLYTHON.