Moira Hull ‘18

Name: Moira Hull

Year: 2nd

Hometown: Wicomico Church, Virginia

Major: Pre-Batten and Middle Eastern/South Asian Studies

What are you involved in?

I dance salsa with UVA’s salsa club. Last year, I performed with UVA concert band in Spring semester and I’m looking forward to getting into that again this upcoming Spring semester. I’m also involved with Climate Action Society, which is a student-run group focused on environmental issues that promotes mobilization and advocacy to solve some of the greatest issues facing our environment today; these include fracking, the pipeline, and mountaintop removal. I’m also a member of Warm Up America, which is UVA’s knitting and crocheting club that makes patches to sew into blankets for the women’s shelters in Charlottesville. I also just began volunteering with Latino and Migrant Aid through Madison House, which focuses on learning and playtime for bilingual children in the Charlottesville area. Lastly, I was assigned a slot to DJ and make set-lists for WXTJ on Tuesday mornings. You can tune-in anytime!

What’s your favorite song at the moment?

Where I’m From by Digable Planets! I think it built the foundation for the hip-hop, soul, and rap of today in the 90s!

(At this point, Moira starts playing it on her phone and treating me to her signature, highly impressive dance moves)

Favorite place on grounds?

Dell Pond and the area behind it, which my friends and I call Narnia because you have to walk through a partially hidden archway to reach a pleasant little meadow. It's perfect for studying, hanging out with friends, picnicking, or just relaxing! Also, the UVA wifi reaches over there, so that’s a plus!

What’s your favorite college recipe?

When I don’t have much else in the fridge, I resort to making my own pizza. I use half a bagel, some tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella or Daiya vegan cheese, onions, and peppers. Then I just throw it all together in the oven for 10 minutes at 350! It’ll change you.

Would you be willing to eat a bowl of crickets for $40,000?

No, I’m a vegetarian!!

Best compliment you’ve ever received?

Whenever someone tells me I look like my mom!

Do you have any hidden talents?

Sometimes when I’m in the car with my brother, we impersonate different people and we end up feeding off of each other and getting very involved in our different personas. People just end up looking at us with the weirdest looks from other cars! But we’re both really good at impersonations!

Most-used emoji?

The shy, dark-grey moon!

Favorite book?

The Good, Good Pig by Sy Montgomery. It’s about a runt pig that she rescued and raised! I cry every time I read it!

Pick one:

Lizzie McGuire or Hannah Montana?

I’m definitely more of a Lizzie McGuire fan. The Lizzie McGuire movie changed me.

Pancakes or Waffles?

Waffles!

Call or text?

Call!

Shower or bath?

Bath

Pickles or Olives?

Ooh, pickles! Olives are so nasty! I can’t believe people eat them!

Spring or fall?

Fall!

Dancing or singing?

Dancing!

Bracelets or necklaces?

Necklaces

Dress up or dress down?

Dress up, but I could go either way!

Classic or modern?

Classic.

Truth or dare?

Dare!

Picnic or nice restaurant?

Picnic for sure

Words with Scrabble or Bananagrams?

Scrabble. My first love.