Fake it Until You Make It: How Confidence Makes you Attractive and Five Steps to Get There

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

It’s not your hair, or your body, or how long your eyelashes are. It’s confidence. Yup. Confidence is the #1 most attractive quality in a person. Even Beyoncé, pretty much the goddess of beauty, thinks so. She told Cosmo,“The most attractive quality a woman can have is self-confidence. You can be pretty, but if you’re not confident you don’t come across as sexy.”

Here’s the best part. You don’t have to be born with confidence like you do with bone structure or eye color. All you have to do is fake it until you make it. Follow these five steps and you’ll be on your way to Beyoncé status in no time.

1. Look the part

Smile and be aware of your posture. When you’re walking, move quickly and keep your eyes off the ground.

2.  Don’t be too modest

You may think that constantly apologizing for your flaws makes you appear gloriously humble but it actually just makes you look like you have no self-esteem. Don’t sell yourself short! For example, if someone congratulates you on a good grade, instead of saying, “Oh yeah, it must have been a miracle I’m usually so dumb in that class,” smile and reply with a simple, “Thanks so much!”

3.  Look people in the eye

You know what you’re talking about, so act like it! People will trust that what you’re saying is important if you look them straight in the eye. Constantly shifting your gaze makes you look unsure and nervous.

4.  Exercise

“Exercise releases endorphins and endorphins make you happy. And happy people just don’t kill their husbands.” Thanks, Elle Woods. But really, exercising regularly, especially early in the day will put you in a good mood and give you the energy you need to face the world with confidence.

5.  Face a fear

The only way to be confident is to be comfortable. And the best way to be comfortable is to start turning your un-comfort zones into comfort zones. Do you get nervous to raise your hand in class? Then make it a point to participate twice this week. Or what if you hate being the one to text first? You know what you have to do this weekend (as long as it’s before 10 pm). Even if you get the answer wrong, or he never responds, the worst has happened and guess what – you’ve lived through it. From here on out, it only gets easier.