The Appeal of Pete Davidson: It’s Really Not That Complicated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

If you’ve been on the internet at all in the past month, you know that Pete Davidson is dating Kim Kardashian following her separation from Kanye West. And oh, do the people have opinions. Pete seems to be one of those male celebrities people can’t come to a consensus on. As awful as it sounds, the renowned comedian, actor, and SNL cast member is highly debated for his looks- is this man attractive, or not? For those who think he is, the only surprising thing about him dating Kim is that they seem to be an unlikely pairing. For those who think otherwise, the big question seems to be, “how the heck did Pete Davison bag Kim Kardashian?”

You’ve seen the tweets, the memes, the horribly hilarious insults. And if you haven’t, here are a few of my favorites.

That last one is what I’d like to focus on, because for Pete’s sake (pun intended), leave this man alone! We have to believe, if not assume, that he can be charming, funny, and treat a woman right. He’s dated not only Kim Kardashian, but also Ariana Grande, Kaia Gerber, and Kate Beckinsale to name a few- all indisputably gorgeous women, who I’m sure didn’t care about Twitter’s opinion on his appearance. This whole Pete Davidson sensation is really just a long, hard look in the mirror. What do we value in couples as a society, and do we put looks over genuine happiness and compatibility?

I personally am happy for Kim, who I have seen laughing more in the past 4 weeks than literally at any other point in time. She deserves someone who she enjoys spending time with, we all do! So rather than focusing on finding a Michael B. Jordan or a Harry Styles, let’s all broaden our scopes a bit and look for a Pete Davidson. Not that Michael and Harry aren’t wonderful, they just happen to be conventionally attractive as well, and maybe Pete Davidson is too. Who knows? You get what I mean.

A San Antonio native who loves barbacoa almost as much as Chris Evans. I'm a sucker for some good sweet tea and I am very passionate about self-care being a lifestyle, not a luxury!