10 Small Ways To Do Better and Help The World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Making big leaps into veganism, or other radical life changes, may be too expensive, or simply seems too unpleasant, to some. Luckily, there are a lot of little things we can all do each day in order to help Earth and all the creatures on it.

• We all know this one: Reduce! Reuse! Recycle!

If the recycling doesn’t get picked up at your house, many places (such as Target) have large bins in front where you can organize the small trash from your car ecologically (less Starbucks cups filling up landfills? Sounds like a plan!) Don’t ignore the “reuse” part, get creative! Most of us already repurpose trash everyday, like when we use an old grocery bag as a small garbage bag.

• Switch to only cruelty-free makeup brands.

Okay, this one is hard, but worth it (also a great excuse to give your makeup collection a general cleaning out). A simple Google search will let you know whether or not a brand tests its products on animals. Examples of great cruelty-free makeup brands are Glossier, e.l.f, and Milani.

• Carry a reusable straw with you.

I don’t like soda or coffee touching my teeth, so the idea of going completely strawless at restaurants doesn’t work for me. This is why I usually have a reusable straw at the ready in my purse! You can buy a pack at most stores, or one by itself at Starbucks for just one dollar (you can also just repurpose one from an old reusable cup).

• Get reusable grocery bags.

Most stores sell them for just one dollar, and some are super cute (i.e. my Selena HEB bag that I’m lowkey proud of).

• Use a reusable cup or water bottle.

You can find and use these everywhere, so you should be able to find one at a lower price

• Pick just one day a week to cut out meat.

You don’t have to be completely vegetarian or vegan, little actions make a difference! If you just stop eating beef, don’t eat meat on Wednesdays, or just have the occasional meatless meal, your effort means something! Don’t feel pressured to make any huge life changes if you’re not ready. Take baby steps, switch the milk in your latte to a dairy alternative, whatever you feel willing to do is great!

• Carpool or bike to work and class, if possible.

If you live close to work or school and it’s nice outside (and it wouldn’t cause you to be vulnerable at night!) walking or biking is a great way to help the environment. If the weather doesn’t permit, carpooling with your friend has a double purpose: putting less toxins in the air, and singing way too loudly together on the way to class.

• Pick up trash while you jog or walk.

While on the subject of walking… we are never going to be able to make other people act a certain way or not litter, so it very helpful for those who are willing to pick up trash when they can and appropriately sort and dispose of it. If you’re already going out for a walk or jog, keep an eye out for any litter left on the ground, try carrying a bag with you to collect the litter, or even make a contest out of it if you jog with a friend to see who can clean up the most!

• New hobby alert: gardening!

Planting a tree or small garden can be a great activity to do with a friend on a beautiful day. Who loves botany? (Hint: you do now.)

• Spread the word!

The best way to do good for the Earth we share is with a friend, so encourage others to do these activities, or anything else you can think of together! You don’t need to completely change your life to do some good, and hopefully have some fun while doing it.

Currently: running to class Later: running for office
Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.