To the Guy Who Made Me Want to Wait

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Thank you.

You helped me figure out a part of myself that no one else could touch; complete independence. Before you, all I ever did was look for the next guy that could be in my life. No guy would ever last because it wouldn’t feel right or I didn’t see a future with him. I came to college thinking I would meet someone and get married years later. I would never have imagined what actually happened.

I have become completely and totally OK with being alone. I want nothing more than to wait for the person that I am actually supposed to be with. I do not look. I do not search. I do not worry that I will never find happiness because I have happiness in myself. You helped me find my happiness. The kind of happiness that I can’t share with others. The kind of happiness that shows when I decide to put makeup on for me and no one else, or when I see other couples getting engaged and I only think of how happy they are, not how happy I could be.

With that happiness comes this incredible comfort. Comfort in the fact that one day I will meet my husband, but it does not have to be today. Comfort in the fact that I don’t need a date for Valentine’s Day when I have my girlfriends. Also, I have complete comfort in the fact that I will say “no.” I don’t want anything with anyone right now, and that is because of you.

Thanks to you, I think of my future. I think of the kind of woman I want to be, with or without a husband. I think of my career and where I want to be and where I want to go. I think off all the ways I could travel the world and experience life alone if that’s how it turns out.

Thanks to you, I am no longer afraid. I am no longer afraid of never getting married and having kids because I know that I will not need that to be happy. If I’m meant to get married, great! I hope I’m the kind of woman my husband deserves. If I’m not meant to get married, that’s great, too! I can be the strong independent woman I know that I can be, the woman that I’m growing into now.

Thanks to you, I no longer need attention from any guy. I don’t need to go on dates or kiss anybody. I don’t need or want anything physical. I don’t need or want someone that I can talk to every day. You made me realize that I have enough people in my life to make myself happy.

Thanks to you, I learned to love myself when you didn’t love me.

You helped me find myself in ways that no one could have ever shown me. You made me realize my worth. You made me realize that if someone really loves me or wants to be with me, they will treat me like they really love me. You made me want to wait. I still don’t know what or who I’m waiting on, but I know whatever or whoever it is, it will be worth the wait.

Photo courtesy of ImCreator.

I am a Public Relations major at the University of Tennessee at Martin. I am involved in Chi Omega and I am a barista at Higher Ground Coffee shop. When it comes to my future, I only have New York City and traveling the world figured out... Easy enough, RIght?