7 Easy (and Free!) Random Acts of Kindness to Try This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Photo courtsey of Pixabay https://pixabay.com/en/kindness-chalk-handwritten-word-1197351/

As semi-broke college students, sometimes we can’t give as much to others as we’d like. We let our empty pockets become a weighty excuse to not see past the fact that we have so much more to give than money: time, love, a listening ear, etc. Performing at least one small act of kindness a day will brighten the days of countless others, shape you into a better person and might even give your skin that ~glow~ you’ve been looking for.

Kindness is contagious. Start the chain reaction!

Sunday: Compliment an employee to his/her manager.

That 16-year-old cashier at Panera Bread who patiently put in your complicated order with a smile on his face? Or the semi-familiar Starbucks barista who starts preparing your Venti Iced Skinny Mocha the moment you walk through the door? They may be just one good compliment away from being promoted (or even just noticed) by their boss. Only good things can come from putting in a good word!

Monday: Park a little further away so someone else can have a closer spot.

We often take for granted how young and able-bodied we are. Earn a big thumbs-up from God by using those strong legs of yours and parking just a tiny bit further away than necessary.

Tuesday: Take treats to the local fire station.

Have you been looking for a reason to make those Pinterest cookies you’ve repinned three times? Well, here you go. And what better way to end the day than to watch Netflix in bed nomming the leftover cookies knowing you put a smile on the faces of a dozen brawny men? None. There’s no better way.

Wednesday: Give away a gift card that you don’t intend to use.

Be honest with yourself. Are you really going to use that iTunes card that’s been sitting on your dresser for months, or even years, since you got a Spotify membership? You could, but you could also give it away to someone who pays for iTunes Apple Music. Your ~selflessness~ would not only clear up bedroom clutter, but help out a friend in need.

Thursday: Tweet a genuine compliment to someone on Twitter.

Or hype up their insta selfie. Or DM them asking where they got that *fab* bikini in their avi. Your phone is most likely in your hand 24/7 anyway – do some good!

Friday: Let the person in line behind you cut in front of you.

Life moves pretty fast, but if you’re not in a complete rush, let someone skip you in line. Whether in the grocery line or the fast food line, build up that good karma for when you’re the one in a rush!

Saturday: Make a playlist (or CD) for a friend.

Help out a friend going through a rough time by making a pick-me-up playlist, or throw together a ‘Just Because’ mixtape of throwback jams (hello, middle school dance bangers!) to scream-sing along with while you drive around town. Creating a playlist is the perfect study break activity and will undoubtedly make any friend feel cared about.

No matter how poor and busy you may be, it’s easy to lift others up without breaking the bank or wasting hardly any time! No act of kindness is a “small” act of kindness, and you never know how significant of an impact the simplest acts can create. In the words of Amelia Earhart, “A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees.” So go forth and plant the seeds of kindness, you strong-legged Kindness Angel.