Giving the Scoop to CCI – JEM 415

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tennessee chapter.

Each semester Dr. Hendrickson’s JEM 415 class works diligently to write, design and produce Scoop Magazine. Scoop is a magazine specifically for College of Communication and Information students, faculty and alumni. The class starts out submitting ideas of relevant content to include in the issue. Then the semester is dedicated to writing, editing and photographing.

As the semester comes to a close, it’s time to finalize designs and send the magazine to print. Each winter (Fall semester) issue is printed as well as released online. The issue created in the spring is strictly online.

This week while every UT student has been preparing for finals, the JEM 415 students have some extra work on their plate. Not only are they studying for exams, and preparing to graduate, but they are also spending hours in the Communications building finalizing all their hard work.

Each student is responsible for multiple stories and the photographs that accompany them. The majority of the class also takes on an editorial position for a specific section.

In addition, class members embrace the roles that are present in any magazine mast head. There is an Editor-in-Chief, Editorial Director, Managing Editor, Creative Director, Photo Editor, Research Chief, and Online Editor.

The class experiences the roles of a professional publication, and the end product shows off the dedication and talent evident in the class. The Scoop writers represent some of the top students in the University of Tennessee Journalism program.

Visit the Scoop site at Issuu.com to view past issues, and be on the lookout for the Winter 2011 edition, sure to be the best one yet. Congratulations to the students of JEM 415 on a successful semester.

JEM 415 Fall 2011 Class:
Instructor: Elizabeth Hendrickson
Editor-in-Chief:Cami Monet
Editorial Director: Eva Posner
Managing Editor: Melanie Agee
Creative Director: Scott Morgan
Photo Editor:Dorothy Montague
Assistant Photo Editor:Maggie Yeager 
Research Chief: Elijah Herington
Online Editor:Dorothy Montague
Department Editors:
Office Space and A Day in the Life: Emily Garrity
Adventures Abroad: Elijah Harrington
Campus Trends: Kathryn Sullivan
CCI Development and Programs with Purpose: Justin Miller
Alumni Notes: Sarah Waldrip
New Technologies and Extracurricular: Spencer Coates