This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As big/little week is taking place at my sorority, my alumna heart is weeping. Being a member of a sorority was definitely one of the best decisions I made as an undergrad. My short time in college would not have been as memorable if I didn’t have my sisters. For those of you currently in sororities–or thinking about rushing in the future–I have some words of wisdom for you!

1. Craft Your Heart Out Take pride in the fact that you are covered in glitter for weeks on end. You become a “real” adult after college and we definitely don’t have fun activities like crafting in the real world. So craft those paddles! Paint those letters! Embrace this wonderful tradition and use it as an opportunity to bond with your sisters. 

2. Love Your Big/Little Family Sororities are huge and becoming besties with all the girls is hard. Luckily, you are all given a family within your house to love and support you. Even if you aren’t close to your family, make the effort. They were selected to the same house as you for similar reasons. Who knows? One of them might end up being your best friend. 

3. Interact With Other Greeks If you see someone in one of your classes wearing letters, reach out and make a study group! The best part about being in the Greek system is the sense of community. 

4. Go To Your House’s Formals Can’t find a date? Honey, you don’t need one. Go to the formal. Hangout with your sisters. Take pictures. Make memories. You are surely going to miss it all when you graduate.

5. Join Exec  If I hadn’t graduated so fast, this is something I would have done. After becoming a member of your sorority you learn what works and what doesn’t. If you are having an incredible experience, don’t you want future sisters to experience the same? If you aren’t having the best experience, don’t you want to change it for others? The most rewarding thing you can do while still being an active member is to take care of your sisterhood and make sure that it functions to the best of its ability.  

They say it’s not just for four years; it’s for life…but be sure to take advantage of those 4 years while you’re an active member!

MPH Student at the University of Utah Asia Campus Cat Enthusiast/ Traveler/ Instant Food Consumer
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor