yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

A Vegan’s Guide to Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Let’s face it, Halloween isn’t the easiest holiday to be a vegan on. Okay, none of the major holidays are. Except maybe President’s Day that is. Don’t ask me why. Fear not my fellow Vegan Warriors, there is hope this Halloween. As it turns out, there are a lot more vegan options on the shelves and in the bowls than you perhaps knew. Below you will find a compiled list of treats you can eat without feeling guilty this Halloween!

The Treat:

Skittles: That’s right. There’s no need to feel guilt for tasting the rainbow this year.

Swedish Fish: Go ahead, feast on the little red beasts.

Sour Patch Kids: There’s no need for you to feel sour about eating these guys, you can be your sweet vegan self and still enjoy the little buggers.

Now & Later: You can eat them now…or later. Either way they’re still going to be vegan.

Air Heads: You’re not going to be a carnivorous air head if you eat these this Halloween!

Twizzlers: I don’t think anyone actually eats these specifically on Halloween…but you can because they’re vegan!

Okay, okay, so now you have a list of some classic candies you can treat yourself too this Halloween, but don’t forget you can always trick your friends with some homemade vegan treats as well!

The Trick:

Vegan Candy Corn: It takes about 45 minutes overall to prepare this tricky treat. Below you’ll find a general list of ingredients you’ll need: Ingredients: 1/4 cup golden syrup (look for Lyle’s brand) 1/2 tsp. vanilla 1 tbsp. melted coconut oil 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar 1 cup gluten-free flour or tapioca flour + more for mixing Food coloring Parchment paper

Directions for baking can vary, but here are a few good sights to look on! http://blog.freepeople.com/2014/10/vegan-candy-corn/

http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-candy-corn-396882

You can find other fun and festive vegan recipes for this Halloween on other websites such as PETA or Happy Cow! Whether you make the tricks or just enjoy the treats this Halloween, being vegan will be a scary good time!

Shaela Adams: is really just in love with the Earth. And peanut butter. And naps.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor