Things My Mom Deserve to Hear More Often

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

‘Tis the season to be thankful—and if you are lucky enough to have a mom that like mine at all—you have a lot to be thankful for. My mom is the most supportive, kind, and thoughtful person I’ve ever met, and I’m lucky to have her as my best friend. Which is why she deserves to be reminded how amazing she is, and other things, more often. Although this one goes out to my mom, these are things that all my loved ones—and your loved ones—deserve to be told, too.

1. “You should go for it.”

My mom encourages me to go for my dreams and pursue my passions more than anybody else. It’s only fair to encourage her just as much to go after her own goals, too.

2. “Take some time for yourself.”

My mom is definitely the kind of person who puts everybody else first, and doesn’t end up with a lot of time for herself. Remind her to go get that haircut she’s been wanted forever, or to read the book you got her last Christmas, or take a walk or do whatever it is she likes to do in her spare time.

3. “You look beautiful.”

Everyone can use nice, confidence boosting compliments every once in a while—and really, there’s no one cuter than your mom.

4. “I’m sorry.”

Maybe you’re not always wrong…but in hindsight, a lot of the stupid arguments you have had with your mom were unnecessary, and honestly, she probably was right.

5. “I’ve got this.”

Moms are notorious worriers. So when things are doing okay, don’t forget to let her know about your successes, too. And also, let her know when you can be there to help her out, too, with running errands or paying for certain things or whatever else.

6. “I love you.”

This one is a no-brainer. But when it comes to your mom, sometimes it isn’t said enough! Yes, the quick “love you” when hanging up the phone is always much appreciated, but an “I love you” out of the blue carries a lot of meaning and is sure to make her day.

7. “Thank you.”

This one is another obvious one, but really might be the most important one. Although the holiday season is an especially loving time of the year, I’m sure we could all work on thanking our moms (and other loved ones) for all of their care and kindness any time of the year.

So, to my mom and all the mom’s (or mother-figures, or people who care for you in general)—here is a sincere thank you for all that you do. You deserve a thank you everyday, and so much more!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor