New Hobbies to Try Before Fall is Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Believe it or not, fall is almost over—which means months of the cold and darkness of winter are ahead. And if you’re anything like me, you will find any excuse to stay nice and warm in your house. However, there is still time to enjoy the beautiful fall weather, and maybe even turn a new leaf (ha, ha) and try out a fun hobby before the season is done!

1. Take a drawing class!

I am by no means a talented artist, but I’ve always really enjoyed drawing. I decided to take an art class this semester, and it is one of the best choices I’ve made in college. If I weren’t taking this class, I would never actually set time aside in my schedule to do art, even though it’s a really stress-relieving activity. Consider signing up for an art class next semester, an art class at a community center, or just spend an hour or two outside drawing all the pretty foliage. Maybe you have untapped artistic potential just waiting to be discovered!

2. Hiking

Consider spending some more time in the great outdoors! Hiking is not only super fun and fulfilling, but is also a total workout for your body that you won’t even notice because you’ll be staring at the pretty landscape all around you. And who doesn’t want that?! The Salt Lake area is pretty famous for all of its gorgeous outdoor scenery. Some of my favorite local hikes include anything up Millcreek Canyon (the hikes to Dog Lake and Church Fork Peak are super rewarding) and the Lake Mary Trail up by Brighton Ski Resort!

3. Become a Coffee Connoisseur 

Teach yourself how to make all your favorite delicious seasonal drinks, and save yourself the money you would be forking over to Starbucks. Sounds like a win-win to me! The POPSUGAR Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte tutorial is one that I definitely recommend. If coffee isn’t your thing, teach yourself some new recipes! Pumpkin zucchini bread is the perfect fall baking treat.

4. Cycling

Even though it’s a little chilly out, you still have time before locking your bike up in storage for the winter! Tackle a new trail on your bike before it gets too icy. Exploring the city or the mountainside is always more fun when you’re pedaling, and is a great cardio workout. Plus, you won’t have to break the bank on gas money, which is always a plus!

5. Photography

Fall is undoubtedly the most Instagram-worthy season of the year. Take up some photography lessons with your fancy new camera you’ve never used, or just take some fun shots on your phone up the canyon. Nighttime photography during the fall is always super fun, too!

Fall is hands-down the most enjoyable season. Take a hint from the changing leaves, and try out a fun new activity in your own life! 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor