Joining a Sorority Showed Me Real Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As an incoming freshman, I was thrilled to be at the University of Utah, and couldn’t wait to be involved on campus. I had been told about sororities but, at first, I wasn’t sure about going through recruitment. The weekend of sorority recruitment arrived, and because of a school trip, I was unable to attend the first day. My impromptu school trip left me feeling exhausted, but my mom still insisted I attend second day of recruitment, so I could “meet real friends”. The recruitment process was overwhelming, yet exciting; everyone was so friendly and outgoing. 

On the last day of recruitment, I knew I found where I belonged.  After running down the street to my new home on bid day, I felt overjoyed and genuinely happy I had gone through recruitment. There were so many girls who wanted to be friends, and wanted to  genuinely get to know me. My organization was quick to show they cared about me, and immediately began to prep me for a lifetime of sisterhood and friendship. As incredible as it was to be a part of my new home, what I didn’t expect was to become shy and reserved. In high school, I had no problem making friends and being involved. I became president of every organization, and academic achievement came easily. I was a leader in my community, and planned to continue that path throughout college.

But after joining Greek life, I came to the startling realization that every girl in my house was the same person I was in high school. Every girl was outgoing, academically inclined, and involved in multiple service and campus organizations. I had always considered myself to be the over-achiever, and now I was surrounded by girls who had done everything I had and more. I didn’t feel exceptional anymore. What qualities did I have to stand out in a crowd that several other girls wouldn’t have already?

Failure was a new feeling for me, but was necessary step in realizing that having the highest-grade point average or being president of any number of organizations didn’t equate to being “better” or “more achieved” than anyone else. While I had achieved academically and through leadership roles before college life, my sense of self-worth had always been teetering at a low point. I simply thought achieving in other areas of life would make up for it, or hide the fact I didn’t like who I was on the inside.

Fortunately, my sorority opened my eyes to what real success and achievement was. My sisters supported each other in their involvements and praised one another, even for little successes. Many of them were involved in the same activities, and it was nothing short of awesome to see my fellow sisters encouraging one another in their pursuit of similar goals. Sorority life has taught me success comes in a variety of ways, and I shouldn’t be scared to share something I was proud of just because it felt like my accomplishments didn’t compare to others.

I’ve been shown real success is simply being resilient in life, and getting back up after every hit. It’s failing a class, knowing its not the end of the world,  and fighting to try again. Before I knew it, I found strength in knowing several people have the same amazing qualities that I do. Because, sometimes it’s not about getting the leadership role one may have wanted, but, rather, it’s about staying involved and supporting those around you. The real competition is with yourself. Success is not an upward hill- but a series of ups and downs, zig zags and backtracks. My sorority has shown me that truly powerful women empower other women.  

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor