The Hallmark of Our Generation: Never Having Alone Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I’ll admit it; I’m a total busybody. I’m the kind of person who tries to fit in a quick workout between early morning classes, while trying to ready a chemistry textbook and typing up an essay at the same time. Not to mention planning surprise birthday parties in between ten-minute breaks at work. Even though I’ve got a lot of stuff on my plate, I try to make sure that I have time for my family and friends—but the one thing I forget to make time for sometimes is myself.

I think that a lot of us have the same problem of not making time for ourselves, and I also think modern technology is an enabler. It’s never been easier to multitask and fill up our schedules, especially because literally everyone I know, including me, is so attached to their cellphone. My phone is always beeping to remind me that I have a math assignment due tomorrow and that I have a study group meeting in fifteen minutes. Even though technology is a godsend and makes organization in general million times easier, it also makes life a billion times more complicated than it needs to be most of the time.

The one thing I know that I never pencil into my planner is time away from my phone screen, and all of the other obligations and tasks I have to finish. Sometimes, all I really need is to take thirty minutes out of my hectic day to just put my feet up and read a new book, watch some of my favorite show, take a bubble bath just for fun, or go on a run in the park instead of at the gym; really just anything that makes me feel happy and relaxed.

And if we’re going to be honest with ourselves, we all probably really do have the time to give ourselves a genuine break for at least thirty minutes a day. Instead of compulsively entering in all the “stuff” that needs to get done in our reminders, scrolling through social media sites mindlessly, or even reading a paper for class for the millionth time because you’re too distracted to retain any of it, take a legitimate break. Treat yourself to doing something you enjoy, even if that means taking a twenty-minute power-nap.

It’s a hallmark of our generation that we’re always busy, to the point where being truly bored is a thing of the past. Although it’s always a positive thing to be hardworking, we all deserve some time off from our hectic daily lives. Do yourself a favor, and schedule in some time to take care of yourself— you’ll feel happier and more prepared to tackle all the rest of the stuff on your to-do list!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor