A Foodie’s Guide to Dim Sum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Picture this. You’re in a restaurant. It’s loud and cramped. You’re handed a menu. Wait, does that say “chicken feet”? Why is no one explaining to me what “XO sauce” is? Is it a sauce filled with hugs and kisses? A cart full of little metal tins rolls up to your table. The nice lady asks you if you’d like some Dim Sum. The tins all look the same. You have no idea what to order. The rude customer at the table next to you huffs impatiently, side-eyeing the cart.

No worries! I’ve got your back. Yes, it says “chicken feet”. Yes, they mean it. XO sauce is a spicy seafood-based sauce.

My family is originally from Hong Kong, which is best known for their Dim Sum. Consequentially, I spent nearly every single summer there, from the time I was a baby up until college. I also worked at a Dim Sum restaurant for about two years. At this point in my life, I am probably made up of 55% water and 45% egg tarts. Here are my favorite dishes.

1. Egg Tarts

This is a tart filled with custard made from eggs. I have never met anyone who didn’t like egg tarts. In fact, there’s a famous chain bakery in Hong Kong that only sells egg tarts. Great for people who have a sweet tooth. Great for kiddos. Great all around.

2. Shrimp Dumplings

Imagine potstickers, but with shrimp inside. This is a classic. You can dip it in sauce or just eat it plain. This was 100% the most popular order at the restaurant I worked at. 

3. Pineapple Bun

This is called a pineapple bun because the crackly surface after it comes out of the oven resembles the surface of a pineapple. However, there is zero pineapple in it. Deceiving, I know. It’s a slightly sweet bread. When I was younger, I used to pick off and only eat the crackly surface. Actually, I kind of still do that because it’s just that good. This is also a staple in Hong Kong cuisine.

Hope this helps a few of you out! Trying new foods from different cultures can be intimidating, but hopefully, this advice makes it a little less overwhelming. My biggest tip is to try everything once! You never know until you try. Who knows? Maybe chicken feet will be your new go-to dish.

Image Sources: 1,2,3,

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor