A Busy Year for Timothée Chalamet

With the recent release of David Michôd’s The King on Netflix and the upcoming release of Greta Gerwig’s adaptation of Louisa May Alcott’s novel Little Women, Timothée Chalamet is rounding 2019 off right. Ever since his breakout roles in Lady Bird (2017) and Call Me By Your Name (2017), the young actor has been catapulted into the spotlight and shows no signs of stepping away.  

On November 1, The King, in which Chalamet takes on the role of the title character, was released on mega streaming platform Netflix after overwhelming anticipation. Michôd’s adaptation of the Bard’s Henriad forces Chalamet into new territory. The King is Chalamet’s first foray into the historical film genre, and his first professional opportunity to act in a foreign accent. The reviews are in: critics have praised his performance in the long-awaited film as a convincing, young ruler ushered into war.  

In December a fresh, new adaptation of Little Women is coming to theaters. In Greta Gerwig’s latest project, Chalamet is cast as Theodore Laurence, known to readers as Laurie, opposite Saoirse Ronan who plays the role of Jo March. This isn’t their first rodeo, as the two played love interests in Gerwig’s directorial debut Lady Bird. According to Chalamet and Ronan, their real-life friendship is what makes their performance in Little Women believable. Their characters share a certain level of intimacy that they believe would not translate properly if they weren’t as comfortable around each other as they are. We haven’t seen much of Chalamet from the trailers except for windswept hair, undeniable charm, and passion we all long for in our lives, but based on his exceptional performance in his previous films, and Gerwig’s desire to work with him again, we can assume we’ll fall in love with him all over again in this new role that suits his heartthrob image.  

So what’s next for the young Chalamet? Two films, currently in post-production, are set for release in 2020, one of which is the first installment of a two-part adaptation of Frank Herbert’s 1965 science fiction novel Dune. Director Denis Villeneuve’s star-studded cast also includes Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Jason Momoa, Javier Bardem, Stellan Skarsgård, and Josh Brolin. Chalamet is set to star alongside Saoirse Ronan, yet again, in Wes Anderson’s next comedy-drama The French Dispatch, which follows three storylines at an outpost of an American newspaper in a fictional 20th-century French city. Again, Chalamet is expected to dazzle us with his acting chops in both films. As his film career progresses and his image as a teenage heartthrob only becomes more concrete, it lends credibility to the claim that Timothée Chalamet is our generation's Leonardo DiCaprio. 

Photo Source: 1, 2