Style > Beauty

5 Coconut Oil Beauty Hacks that Will Change Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you’ve been anywhere near Pinterest in the last couple years, you’ve probably seen countless articles on how to use coconut oil to improve your beauty routine. There are seemingly endless ways to use coconut oil everywhere on your body! It can be overwhelming to pick out the ones that actually work well enough to do consistently. To save you time, I’ve isolated the coconut oil beauty hacks that work the best (in my experience). Enjoy!

Conditioning hair mask

This one is my absolute favorite. 10-20 minutes before you shower, rub coconut oil throughout ALL of your hair. Yes, it will feel and look pretty disgusting and greasy but it smells fantastic. Make sure you get the ends and the roots. I even go so far as to massage it into my scalp around my hairline. Let that sit until you’re ready to shower, rinse it out and wash/condition your hair as usual. When your hair dries, it’ll be super soft and easier to style. Once you try it, you’ll never go back!

Nail repair

I don’t know about you, but when I use nail polish remover, my nails feel really weak and unhealthy. Before I put another coat of polish on them, I rub coconut oil into my nail beds and cuticles and let it sit for 15 minutes. Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer which can help dry and cracking cuticles and it helps make your nails stronger. Contrary to popular belief, it won’t help nails grow faster but it will make them less susceptible to breaking and cracking.

Winter moisturizer

Winter is a rough time for your skin. The air is all dry and cold and there isn’t enough lotion in the world to prevent the cracking and scaly skin, especially your lips and knuckles. Luckily, coconut oil does the trick! I like putting it on before I go to bed so I wake up nice and soft! Even in the warmer months, it does wonders for chapped (or sunburned) lips.

Pre-shave softener

It’s common knowledge that shaving is much easier when the hair is less bristly but how do you make that happen? You guessed it: coconut oil! You can combine this routine with the hair mask and, some time before you shower/shave, rub coconut oil on the area you are going to shave (just like lotion). The oil softens the hair follicles and gives you a much easier and smoother shave. You can thank me later.

Breakout cleanser

As much as it really truly sucks, breakouts still happen. Sometimes, your face just gets angry with you and decides to start growing little mountains. It’s so important to keep those breakouts clean so they don’t get worse. Coconut oil has lauric acid, a natural antibacterial substance which can reduce infection (which is essentially what breakouts are). I use coconut oil as a spot treatment for especially bad breakouts and, sometimes, as a preventative measure. While I’m putting on the hair mask, I also spread the oil on my face (yes, it looks awful but it feels amazing). You could work the oil into your nightly face wash routine but I find it easier to fully wash off in the shower. Whichever you choose, you definitely want to wash it off. While the lauric acid cleanses the breakouts, the oil itself can gunk up your pores so make sure you wash it off after cleansing.

For the environmentally and health-conscious collegiette, these hacks can make a world of difference. Try one or try them all and watch your skin, nails, hair, and face become healthier and happier!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor