bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

YYC Volunteer: Speak out About Reproductive Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

As an aspiring doctor, I am very interested in bringing more attention to the conversation of reproductive health and rights. Throughout my years at UT I have been looking to partner up with an organization that works closely with the community in order to provide free, affordable STD/STI and HIV testing, as well as, provide their patients with the knowledge they need to take better care of themselves when being intimate with their partners. I first worked with the Ybor Youth Clinic as a freshman through an activity hosted by MedLife. Now, as a junior, I have started to work with them in bringing in more undergraduate volunteers and advocating for reproductive health. I have found an amazing group of people that serve the at-risk youth community in taking ownership of their sexual health by educating and providing them with proper testing and medical attention.

I will be collaborating with them in preparing free-condom bags to give out, tabling events at the Pride and on campus and restructuring their waiting room area so that it’s more inviting and welcoming to their patients. I encourage every reader to find something they’re passionate about and to use that drive to initiate some change to better the community. I also invite anyone who’s interested in helping out with this particular cause to contact me. We are happy to welcome new faces to this movement!

Note: They provide affordable if not free HIV testing. At the University of Tampa’s Wellness Center, this type of testing isn’t available. So, this can be an option for you if you are looking for HIV/AIDS testing (as well as Metro Inclusive Health).

Claudia is a sophomore at The University of Tampa. As a Bio major on the Pre-Med track she's got her head buried in books most of the time. When she's not studying Darwin's theory of evolution and calculating the yield of chemical reactions she loves to do anatomical sketches, take pictures for her IG, write short stories and get involved in as much volunteer work as she can. Being Puerto Rican she's got a lot of drive and passion that she puts towards her goal of becoming a Neonatal surgeon.
Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely