Yik Yak: The New Social Media Obsession at UT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Forget Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, it seems to be that the new and popular social media at UT and so many other colleges is Yik Yak!  It’s time to check your Yakarma and see how many up-votes you have on your current post.

I had the wonderful opportunity to interview Spencer Haberman, the UT correspondent for the social media application Yik Yak, who gave me all the details about the app, descriptions about his position, and his favorite Yak of all time!

For those who may not know what Yik Yak is, how would you describe it?

Yik Yak is an incredibly cool social media platform that allows its users to post anonymously to a local feed. The feed can be seen only within a certain distance from the original person who posted, and then other users within the set distance can see this post and comment or vote on the post. 

When was Yik Yak created?

Yik Yak was founded in late 2013 and has been on the rise ever since. It recently won the “Fastest-Rising Startup” award at the 8th Annual Crunchies Awards on February 5th, 2015. 

Why should college students use this social media application?

It’s hilarious! I love going on the local feed for our school and seeing all of the funny posts.

How did you become the campus correspondent for this social media application at UT?

I was on the Yik Yak website browsing through all of the pages and saw the opening for the position, and I decided to apply. Out of roughly 1,300 applications, about 130 were selected to become campus representatives at different universities. 

What events or accomplishments have you completed thus far as the UT correspondent?

Since becoming the rep for our campus, I have noticed a huge increase in activity on our feed. Also, it is amazing to see people who I don’t personally know either wearing gear around campus or having stickers on their laptops. 

What are some future goals you have for Yik Yak?

I would like to get more people on the app using it for the right reasons. I hate seeing people post negative Yaks. It is my goal to help encourage people on our campus to post more funny and comedic Yaks. 

What is one struggle you have faced thus far with being the UT correspondent/ sponsoring this application?

Some people do not like the app, or complain when I post in the app about giveaways and prizes, but I just brush that off. If someone doesn’t like the prizes and Yik Yak gear that I’m giving away, then good! There’s more for those who do want it. 

What is the purpose of having Yik Yak giveaways when Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are other popular social media platforms that do not give anything free out to college students?

Yik Yak wants to show those who use the app that they care and want to continue to see people using the app.  Handing out marketing items is also a great way to raise awareness about Yik Yak to those who don’t know about the app. 

What has been your favorite yak so far (either one you wrote or someone else posted)?

I would have to say one that I posted that is 100% original.  My roommate and I were talking about our backgrounds and how we grew up. The Yak from this conversation was:

Me: “What religion are you”

Roommate: “Undecided like my major”

Cover Photo Credit

Jennifer McElroy is currently a Senior earning a degree in Communications and a double minor in Advertising and Applied Dance. She has resided in Florida for most of her life and lives in the sunny and beautiful Sarasota. When Jennifer is not in dance rehearsals or stuck in her room doing homework, she enjoys going to the gym, shopping, spending quality time with friends, and eating cookies.