UT Takes on Red Bull Challenge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Imagine being able to travel all of Europe without having to worry about money. Sounds like a dream come true, right?

Now imagine that the only way you can actually get around is by trading Red Bull cans. Think you can make it? UT students Narenzo Kershaw, Jomely Breton, and Tyler Santos are out to prove that they have what it takes to win the contest.

From April 11th – 17th, the three UT students will embark on an opportunity of a lifetime. The “Can You Make It” contest sponsored by Red Bull involves challenges at several different checkpoints in Europe. Besides not being allowed to use any currency, Kershaw, Breton and Santos will have no personal phone access. All content created from the trip will be from phones provided to them.

For UT, it’s a pretty big deal. The preliminary rounds included video submissions from several thousand college teams, many of which were international. Kershaw’s squad was almost eliminated in the first round against schools nearly three times the size of UT, but the group stayed positive that their fellow classmates and social media followers would pull through.

Thankfully, the UT team made it through the final round and was selected as one of the finalists.

“It’s an opportunity of a lifetime,” said Kershaw. And while the team has struggled to prepare for their weeklong trip, they aren’t scared at all.

“Our professors haven’t really been supporting us, so we have to get two weeks of work done for this trip, and there’s been a lot of unexpected issues pop up, but we’re not giving up. We’re excited to see how far we can get,” Kershaw said.

You can follow their journey and learn more about them on their Red Bull profile. Keep an eye out for their amazing trip!

A Beyonce fanatic, Netflix enthusiast, and Colombian soccer-obsessed college student, Daniela Espinosa is currently studying at the University of Tampa, where she is majoring in Ad/Pr. She hopes to become a producer/content creator one day, but loves the idea of not knowing where the future may take her.