Top 10 Most Underrated Disney Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Honorable mentions of this list include The Aristocats, The Great Mouse Detective, Lilo and Stitch, The Fox and the Hound, Oliver and Company, Brave, Atlantis, Brother Bear, and so many more.

10. Fantasia

Fantasia is definitely a classic Disney film. Not only did it have Walt Disney’s exclusive touch attached to it, but it was the perfect combination of music and drawn art. To me, it seems that all anyone remembers from Fantasia is the classic “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice.” Though this image is featured throughout the Disney parks (R.I.P. The Great Movie Ride) and on a variety of Disney merchandise, the other components of Fantasia are often ignored. When I was younger, I didn’t appreciate Fantasia for what it was but once I was in high school, I re-watched it and it now has a special place in my heart.

9. Sleeping Beauty Hear me out on this one, y’all. Everyone always jumps the gun when I say this and claps back and says that Aurora is a character in the parks and she has her own castle in California, but when you ask about the film, people always speak poorly of it. Granted, it was one of the greatest flops of the Disney Corporation, but if you remove the princess aspect from the movie, it becomes a wonderful fairy tale of protection and loyalty. Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather are the epitome of the perfect guardians and the fact that they are ignored when people speak about the film really grinds my gears.

8. The Jungle Book In my opinion, the original version of The Jungle Book is not appreciated as fully as it should be. The Jungle Book was the last movie Walt Disney gave his personal touch on before his death, which is enough for this film to be considered an instant classic. Besides the creation of the film, it also has a great overall message that is important for children to hear: The right thing to do is sometimes not the easiest thing to do. The Jungle Book can be summed up into that one sentence. A lesson that is invaluable throughout the course of life.

7. Toy Story 2

Here’s another one I’ll ask to be heard out on. The Toy Story series is so beloved throughout the Disney fandom, but Toy Story 2 is often left out of the conversation. Toy Story 2 just happens to be my favorite film in the saga and let me tell you why. I absolutely adore Jessie and her story. It is the first time in the series where we see a child outgrowing their toys. Even though Emily eventually finds Jessie under her bed and reminisces in the sentimental value of her lost toy, she understands that she must give Jessie up to the next child (the whole concept of Toy Story 3). Through Jessie, we also see the stages of grief that are associated with loss, another important aspect for children to subconsciously consider.

6. 101 Dalmatians

101 Dalmatians is all about the unconditional love of parents (Pongo and Perdita) and/or guardians (Roger, Anita, and Nanny). It functions to show that parents/guardians will, theoretically, go to the ends of the earth for their loved ones. It is also about opening your home and heart to others, as we see at the end of the film when Roger and Anita adopt all the puppies involved in the dog-knappings. 101 Dalmatians is just a feel good movie with a kickass woman villain who slays. Also, Jasper and Horace are hilarious, which this film desperately needed due to the whole puppy killing situation.

5. Lady and the Tramp

Honestly, Lady and the Tramp is one of my favorite Disney films, and I feel like it is so underrated. The overarching themes of Lady and the Tramp include coping with change, self-reliance, and coping with betrayal. All of these lessons are important for children to see, understand, and connect with for a multitude of reasons.

4. The Emperor’s New Groove

I think that every only child should watch The Emperor’s New Groove. The Emperor’s New Groove forces viewers to consider their privilege and question the ways in which others live. More importantly, it is about observing differences and learning to move past them to create new, meaningful relationships. I believe that this is important for children to learn as well, especially children entering the school system.

3. The Hunchback of Notre DameI believe that The Hunchback of Notre Dame is more of a film for adults than for children. The adult themes found within the film focus on religion, sexuality, ostracism, and culture within a society. The film and the way it is presented makes these themes extremely clear and provide stark criticisms of each. I feel that parents should also watch this film to gain a better understanding of bullying and how to cope with it if it occurs with their children.

2. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins is the most beautiful film to be produced by the Disney Corporation, period. The film is a theatrical triumph as the line between reality and fantasy collide flawlessly. Dick van Dyke and Julie Andrews bring their characters to life, and the audience can sense their authentic relationship immediately. When watching the film, you feel emotionally connected to Mary, Bert, Michael, and Jane and feel the struggles that each character experiences. Additionally, Mary and Bert’s enthusiasm and optimism is nothing short of contagious.

1. A Goofy MovieA Goofy Movie is the greatest movie produced by the Disney Corporation and is the most underrated film put out by the studio. As someone who has constantly struggled with affirmation, I have always felt a special connection with this film. The themes of family, acceptance, and coming of age are so important for everyone to observe and come to terms with. A Goofy Movie is an all-around feel good film and should be viewed by everyone at least once, and it also has a kickass soundtrack that I still jam out to, to this day

Just living my life one social inquiry at a time.
Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us