Snapshot- Paddle For Peace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Last week on Saturday, September 29th, I volunteered at Paddle for Peace in Tampa, FL with a few of my sorority sisters.

This was the first annual Paddle for Peace (a charitable paddle boarding excursion) arranged by The Spring of Tampa Bay, a women’s shelter in the downtown Tampa area. Participants of the event payed a fee to participate and then another if they needed to rent a board or paddle. Vendors and participants both could raise money for domestic violence awareness and prevention, and from what I heard through the grapevine, the largest contributor raised over $4,000! Such an amazing amount of money for such an amazing cause!

Due to the success of their first Paddle for Peace event, The Spring is planning on making it an annual event.  If you would like to learn more about The Spring of Tampa Bay, the services it provides, or Paddle for Peace, please visit https://www.thespring.org. Also, please remember that October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month!

“I promise to never commit, condone, or remain silent about domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse or other forms of aggressive violence against women, men, and children.”
Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us