stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

As a college student and young adult, it is so easy to get distracted during the semester with classes and extra-curricular activities going on in your life. Being involved is so important in order to have great experiences and to network with new people. But your health is just as important as well. Sometimes I get so caught up in my schedule that I forget to take care of myself. One main thing is getting a night of proper sleep.

I am the type of person who can work on homework for hours late into the night and even the early morning just to get assignments done and done right. I like to do a bulk of my work in one sitting just so I can get the important things out of the way since it eventually lowers the amount of stress I have. With that being said, sometimes I forget how necessary it is to really get a good night’s sleep which is key to your overall performance during the day. Once in a while, it is okay to go survive the day on 5 hours of sleep- admit it- we’ve all done it at some point in our high school or college careers. However, constantly living off of little to no sleep isn’t healthy at all for your body, especially if you want it to function well. Here are four simple tips and tricks I use throughout my busy weeks to ensure I get the best sleep.

1. Setting a proper bedtime:

I know “bedtime” sounds lame, but it really is a good habit to keep in mind. It’s important to set your personal limit for when you should stop doing work and let your mind and body rest. A good bed-time for me is usually around 10:30 or 11:00. Occasionally, I would stay up a bit later grinding out work or studying because I know I can afford to sleep in the next day. This method works best when you know your schedule and you can find the right balance with your time management. Having a mindset that you are going to go to bed at a set time, however, will train your body correctly to get better & sufficient sleep.

2. Less phone time during the night:

Managing the amount of time you spend on your phone also helps you get better sleep. I read about this online and started trying it myself. Putting your phone away at least 30 minutes to an hour before you actually fall asleep allows your eyes to adjust back to normal since it is not being bothered by the bright light from looking at your phone. It will allow you to fall asleep faster resulting in more restful sleep for the night.

3. Melatonin:

Melatonin is naturally produced in your body when you are getting ready for sleep. You can buy melatonin chewies or dissolving tablets at the drugstore. Sometimes I will take a few to make sure I fall asleep on time during the night. Usually, people use this when they are sleep deprived and want to fall asleep faster, which is a great solution as well. The extra bit of melatonin helps to relax my body and mind and provides me with a deep sleep throughout the night. The next morning, I wake up feeling super refreshed and rejuvenated for the rest of the day.

4. Essential Oils

I absolutely LOVE my diffuser and my essential oil collection! There’s literally a scent for every mood and it really helps me mentally as I’m sure it does for others too. Some of my favorite scents to use for sleep and relaxation are lavender, frankincense, patchouli, and even maybe some eucalyptus or peppermint so I can breathe clearly. You can also find blends of different oils that are made specifically for sleep benefits. A couple drops of these into your diffuser will definitely get you into bed quickly sound asleep!!

These are only some of my personal recommendations and of course, everybody has different preferences. It’s important that you take the time to find out the ones that work well for you and your body. Discover new strategies and techniques that ensure you get the amount of rest your body and mind deserve.

Happy Sleeping!!

Hi! My name is Jeanne-Marie Branche. I am 21 years old and a double major in communication and dance at the University of Tampa. I was born in Trinidad & Tobago and have lived in Florida for most of my life. I love writing and sharing my experiences, ideas, advice with others. I cannot wait to reach out and connect with everyone!! Check out my dance blog on IG @dancersofthelight!
Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely