Pros and Cons of Having Guy Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Pro:

They always call you out on your wrongdoings.

·      Guys will always tell you what you’re doing wrong. They won’t be passive about it, they won’t be dramatic about it. They’ll just make sure you’re aware that you messed up.

Con:

·      They’re a lot more callused to jokes, soooo…try not to get too offended, okay?

Pro:

No more dating bad boys.

·      If you start seeing someone, your guy friends are going to want to know about it. They know waaayyy more about a boy’s actions than we do, of course, and they’ll be sure to let you know if they have any doubts about your new love interest’s motives.

Con:

No more dating bad boys.

·      It’s probably going to be impossible to find someone who matches your friends’ standards for you, so you might want to say goodbye to any chances at a relationship while you’re hanging around your guy friends.

Pro:

You have brothers.

·      Whether you have an actual brother or not, your guy best friends are pretty much your family as well. They will care for you, protect you, and always be there for you.

Con:

You have brothers.

·      Brothers and sisters bicker, but at the end of the day, you love each other more than anything.

Pro:

They’re not as sensitive.

·      Guys typically have a thicker skin, so feel free to enjoy ripping on them as much as you want and using way more sarcasm than you even knew you had in you.

Con:

They’re not as sensitive.

·      We need our girly time where we watch rom coms and eat tons of junk food. The guys probably won’t want to join you as you sob watching The Fault in Our Stars.

Pro:

They help you to better understand the male species.

·      Hanging around guys all the time gives you a real taste for what other guys are typically like when you’re not around. Be observant and you’ll learn a lot.

Con:

·      Excess loud bodily functions, movie references, crude jokes, talk about sex and too many video games might become a tad bit much to handle sometimes. Plus…who knew someone could eat THAT much food in one sitting???

Pro:

You always have a last minute date or fake boyfriend.

·      If you need a quick date to a dance or you need to fend off those creepy guys at the club, you always have the help of your guy friends.

Con:

·      It’s not uncommon to be mistaken for being in a relationship with one of your guy friends. Hanging out with them all the time and being super close could come across to some as being more than friends.

Pro:

Outfits

·      It’s nice to hear your guy friends tell you what they think of your outfit because their compliments will always be sincere. They don’t feel obligated to compliment you, so remember that they mean what they’re saying.

Con:

Outfits

·      As a sister, your guys might not want you going out looking too “hot” (refer back to “con: no more dating bad boys”).

Pro:

Sometimes they’ll forget you’re a girl.

·      No sugarcoating, no passiveness. Ahhhh, what a life to live.

Con:

Sometimes they’ll forget you’re a girl.

·      As “one of the guys,” it might be difficult for them to set a boundary between what they can say to and do with their other bros. Be tough, but please DON’T try to compete when they start downing all those beers.

In the end, there are WAY more pros than cons to having guy best friends. They’re fun, exciting, comforting, loving, bighearted, and will always be there for you as your rock and your anchor.

Sky is a junior at The University of Tampa, majoring in Communications. Even though she was born in Maryland and goes to college in Florida, her heart will always be across the country in Los Angeles, California. Most of the time, you can probably catch her skating around campus on her longboard or clumsily walking into something while she's on her phone.