sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Our Culture is not Your Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

It’s finally October!

The biggest question of the month is, “What are you going to be for Halloween?”

It becomes stressful to find the best costume. To be honest, the horror witnessing someone with the same costume turns into a competition showdown of Who Wore It Better.

People get very creative with their costumes; however, we have to consider what is appropriate during this day especially if it offends a culture.

We do not want to dehumanize the beauty of culture and race, so…

Here are some things to consider for your Halloween Costume:

● Is it part of my culture?

● Does your costume include aspects of a certain culture? If so, do you understand the meaning or significance of certain colors, pieces, or symbols involved?

● Are you wearing it as a fashion statement because it looks cute and not out of the beauty of the culture?

“You have to be very careful. Some things are really sacred and important to other cultures, so you have to be aware, politically, about those things before you just adopt them. In order to appreciate something you have to know about it and understand.” – Zendaya Coleman

Have a fun Halloween witches,

Kris

Mabuhay! (Welcome) My goal is to strengthen and empower the voice of women by talking about real-life experiences, struggles, and honest moments we experience on campus and in every day life.