Style

A Look in Front of the Camera

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

I have been asked to do photo shoots with local photographers around the community for a couple of years now. I wouldn’t say I’m a model, it’s more of a hobby for me. I have done a runway show and a few photoshoots here and there with professional photographers. An outlet would be an understatement, I really enjoy it. For me, it’s a fun way of expressing yourself and showing people what your style is. I do miss professional modeling at times, but I have learned a lot from photographers throughout my experiences.

Both the one being photographed and the photographer have a vision that they are creating into reality. I was never really camera shy when I was young, I always liked the idea of having my photo taken. Working with different styles of photographers and designers, you begin to learn different tips and tricks. One of the main things I have learned is letting your body relax. Relaxation of the body is key especially when it comes to runway, and even in photography. In runway, relaxing your shoulders and jaw muscles are what keeps you from looking awkward and uncomfortable. Posing and making it seem like your body isn’t forced is what makes the picture. You have to have a connection with the camera. It’s all in the eyes and smile. Believe it or not, you can “smile with your eyes.” This means you can make a normal look either look sad or happy just by the look in your eyes. Being comfortable with your natural beauty is also really important, your confidence shows through the camera.

Modeling is a great way to create art and learn more about yourself and your own body. I think trying something and stepping out

of your comfort zone by modeling, for example, will help you discover yourself even more.

Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely