This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

On September 7th I tweeted: “still can’t believe this… it just doesn’t seem real. this feels like losing a friend. rip to the first artist whose music & life meant so much to me. mac, you’ll live on as a legend in my heart forever”

It’s been a little over a month since the passing of one of my favorite artists, Mac Miller. Upon hearing the devastating news, I was shocked, in denial, and heartbroken. You see, music means so much to me. Music is a universal language that has the ability to connect people from all different walks of life, backgrounds, and experiences—and that’s exactly what Mac’s music did.

When I was 12 and in 7th grade, I was introduced to Mac’s music when his K.I.D.S mixtape was blowing up all throughout middle school and high school aged kids. “Knock Knock” was the first Mac song that I heard and memorized all the lyrics to, ever since then, Mac became a part of my heavy music rotation. I can remember downloading his mixtapes off of Dat Piff so that I could upload the songs to my iPod touch.

From there I awaited the release of his debut album, Blue Slide Park, I got ignorant to his Macadelic Mixtape, I felt deep feelings and emotions when he released his mixtape Faces. As an 18-year-old college freshman, I was so impressed in how far he had come musically with the releases of GO:OD AM and The Divine Feminine. I was so proud to be a fan for as long as I had been. 20-year-old me was so touched by the opening song, “Come Back to Earth”, on his latest released album, Swimming. I was moved by the musical elements, vulnerability, and honestly, that was so present in a song that was only 2 and a half minutes long.

I grew up with Mac Miller. I fell in love with his music when I was barely a teenager, now as an adult, I can truly see all the ways Mac’s music impacted me. His music made me realize how much I appreciate the power of music and the ability it has to make me feel a certain way. Mac Miller’s life and legacy meant so much to me, he will never be forgotten in my heart.

Malcolm McCormick, may your beautiful, beautiful soul rest in peace. Thank you for your music. Thank you for your honesty and ability to be real with your fans who love and adore you, oh so much. Your spirit, music, and positivity will live on in my heart and will continue to inspire and influence me as it has done for the past 8 years.

“No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.” – Best Day Ever, Mac Miller

junior sport management major, minoring in excerise science. roots in atlanta, blooming in tampa amateur world traveler. coffee enthusiastic. music fanatic.