Life’s a Beach: UT Beach Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

If you’ve got sunblock, a towel, and aren’t afraid of getting a little sand in places you may not want it, than there is the perfect new club for you to join: The Spartan Beach Club! Communicating straight through Facebook, members are always easy to contact, because let’s be real we know everyone is on Facebook at least ten times a day while you check your email maybe three times daily. Members will throw out a comment onto the Facebook page (UT Beach Club) telling everyone that they are planning to go to, say Clearwater beach this Saturday. Then everyone makes their plans, either to meet up at a common meeting place by the beach, or to hitch a ride with people leaving from campus. Then they spend this great day enjoying the sun, sand, and Spartans.

Senior, Brady Gill, came up with the brilliant idea for the beach club with some of his closest friends.

Brady said, “It all started when a few young and precocious freshman on the 5th floor of Vaughn couldn’t find their way to the beach. Now, we are seniors and are able to go every weekend and bring those on campus without rides.”

As a freshman, being an eager new college student in bright and sunny Tampa, hopefully your first thought on the weekends should be wanting to go to the beach. So if you are like Brady and his friends were, not really knowing where to go or how to get yourself to a beach, this is the perfect opportunity for you! Soak up some sun and make a whole group of new friends who share the same love of the ocean.

While there may not be a beach located directly in Tampa, that doesn’t stop these beach bums from finding somewhere to stick their toes in the sand. Clearwater Beach, St. Pete Beach, and Pass-A-Grille are some of the club’s favorite hot spots. Fun beach hats and guitars are common for the club’s beach outings, as well as official Spartan Beach Club t-shirts. Sign up and order one so you can roll up to the waves in true Spartan style.

So all of you beach bums out there, or people who have never really gone to the beach a lot back in their home states, take up this opportunity while you can during your time here at UT. As Brady says, “We are in Florida, so why not spend as much time as possible at the beach?” Go join their UT Beach Club Facebook page, grab a good SPF, and beach it up with them on their next trip (which is more than likely this weekend), you won’t be sorry!

Photo Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153169712795884&set=o.750572061620712&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202930487690552&set=o.750572061620712&type=3&theater

A senior at the University of Tampa, Brianne is finishing up her degree in Communications. After graduation, she hopes to have a job in her field of choice; whether it be in her home state of Massachusetts, here in Tampa, or somewhere new and exciting. And if that doesn’t work out as planned, she has her reality television applications ready at hand - say hello to your next Bachelorette! But until graduation day, Brianne has full blown Peter Pan Syndrome. As she refuses to grow up, you can find her watching Disney movies, planning trips to the zoo to feed the giraffes, eating dessert for dinner, and coloring any chance she gets. Buzzfeed, Netflix, anything coconut, and wine are also some of her guilty pleasures.