How to Survive the Holidays (or the Winter)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Ahh December! With the semester coming to an end, finally getting to and spend time with the people we love most… it really is the most wonderful time of the year. Sometimes, it can get a little hectic. But no worries, with our #HCSurvivalKits (and some other essentials) you’re sure to make it through. Here are some things that make the holidays go by smoother:

1) Moisturizer

Growing up in the North (shout-out NYC) you know the cold dries up your skin. We’ve made it a habit to always carry lotion—and Blistex—with us to make sure our skin is well moisturized all winter long. Coming down to the south, I thought I wouldn’t have to as much because of the warm weather. Little did I know, I could still use a handy dandy bottle once in a while. That’s why we’re loving this hand cream by Being X Sanctuary.

2) Hot Chocolate

At the age of 19, I found the root to all of those random headaches, stomachaches, and rumbles after eating a slice of pizza or a bowl of cereal… I’m lactose intolerant! It was never a big deal because I never enjoyed drinking milk, unless it was masked with the taste of chocolate (and a bunch of marshmallows on top). I’ve tried drinking the water based hot chocolate, but it’s SO GROSS, if any of you have suggestions: Please help a girl out by sending all your dairy-free recipes to my inbox, now. Thank you!

3) Christmas movies

Kick back with some Christmas classics? Oh yeah, we can do that!

4)Tarte Mascara

You knowww we got to keep those lashes looking long and full to every event! My lashes pop, on every block with Tarte’s Lights, Camera, Lashes. Us babes here at HCUT were so excited for this. It’s a 4-in-1mascara, giving you length, curl, volume AND condition. One of the best mascaras out there and it’s cruelty free!!

5)Cooling eye-revive gel by Alba Botanica

Another amazing #HCSurvivalKit item we were excited for. Alba Botanica’s Cooling eye-reviving gel. This will definitely come in handy the morning after having spent a whole day with your extended family. Trust me, you’ll fall apart. Also, it’s vegetarian (¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) AND cruelty free!

6)Krazy Glue

Believe it or not, this actually comes in handy very often. There are SO MANY uses for it too: Broken ornament? Krazy Glue. Working on a project? Krazy Glue. Grades falling apart? KRA.ZY.GLUE!!

And here’s a fine example:

Let us know what’s in your survival kit by tweeting us, @HerCampusUT, we love to hear from you! Happy Holidays!!

Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely
Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us