absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Five Reasons Why It’s Important to Vote

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.
  1. Young voters have the potential to be the most powerful political force in this country. As of April 2018, 59% of adults who are eligible to vote in the U.S. are Gen Xers, Millennials or “post-Millennials.” (Pew Research Center) As the baby boomer electorate decreases in size, experts suggest it is only a matter of time before Millennials become the most influential group driving future elections.

2. Your vote DOES count. Many young people say they don’t vote, because they don’t believe their vote matters. In an America divided more than ever, every vote counts, especially those from one of the largest voting groups in the country. President Barack Obama’s win in the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections are examples of the effect of the youth vote. His popularity with Millenials was one of the key elements of his campaign, giving him a large margin over his competitors in a lot of crucial states.

3. Voting is an important right that should never be taken for granted. Many Americans have lost their lives fighting for the right to vote in this country. We are lucky to live in a country where citizens can vote no matter what their skin color, gender, or sexuality is. It’s an insult to our Founding Fathers to forgo our voting rights.

4. Educating yourself on candidates is easier than ever. With today’s technology, saying you don’t know the candidates is not an excuse. Social media has become a crucial tool for candidates to share their policy and opinions on social issues. The current online climate allows young voters to be fully informed on the candidates and their platforms in a medium they’re familiar with. 

5. Something that may not be an issue right might become an issue in a couple of years. Many young people believe that choosing a president or a senator isn’t something that personally affects their lives right now. For many Millennials, adulthood brings new challenges, such as college, marriage, paying for health insurance, and/or starting a business, all of which can affect perspective on political issues. No one can predict who or where they’ll be in four years. However, the political officials elected and the policies they implement will definitely impact many people’s lives in the coming months and years.
Long Island | Tampa | Alpha Chi Omega