Life > Experiences

Finding Home as a Panhellenic Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

I never thought I would join a sorority. I never thought I was “that kind” of girl. But making up categories for ourselves when they’re far from needed boxes us into negatives. I found an organization I not only wanted to be a part of but one I wanted to lead in. One to represent to the entire student body. I grew up believing the media. I grew up thinking that Greek life was paying for your friends, hazing, and strictly size 2 girls. I grew up thinking that it was a sham. When I came to UT, my freshman year roommate went through recruitment our first weekend- we didn’t get along initially so this was just another wedge between us. Then, my best friend went through recruitment at her school. I felt betrayed. I felt like I didn’t know who she was anymore, then I saw what that sorority did for her. I saw her confidence swell, I saw her being more social and overall, just happier. During every face time she was wearing letters and telling me about all the things she was doing through Greek life- I realized I should give it a try.

I remember my mom’s face when I told her I had signed up for formal recruitment the fall of my sophomore year- she was disappointed and reminded me of every stereotype she knew. I told her I would go through the process and there was no telling if I would even get a bid, and that I could drop the process at any time.

I remember walking into the place I would call home during a later round of open house. I remember seeing so many faces I knew- my RA, my lab mentor, girls I had classes with. For the first time during recruitment, I remember the smile coming across my face looking around the room- these girls weren’t straight from a cookie cutter; these girls were like me, and yet still so different from me. During open house, I bonded with girls over rock climbing and my love of science. During philanthropy, I learned about Guardian Ad Litem, an organization that has adult volunteers be the voice for children when their own guardian may not be able to, which was the next step from the training I had learned from being a mandated reporter. And during the preference round, I messed up ceremonies because the sister I was talking to and I had bonded so much over a professor that we lost track of time.

I knew then that I needed these girls in my life. I did a single-option bid. I waited all night in the Straz common room on my GroupMe waiting for my Rho Gams to announce when they were done their calls. When I didn’t get a one that night I was so happy I cried.

On bid-day, I ran home to a girl I half knew from around campus. Today, I am one of her bridesmaids at her upcoming wedding. I soon met my big and bonded with her over tater tots in a Starbucks booth. I met my little in a Physics class where she was easily the smartest person in the room. I met one of my best friends because we had similar names but very different hair- and couldn’t, and still can’t, understand the confusion. I met girls in my lecture who I stay up til ridiculous hours in a group chat talking about all the problems we had daily. I got to meet women who I am just simply honored to be in their presence because they are going on to be so much bigger and better than they could even imagine.

I fell in love with an organization that pushed me to lead. An organization that gave me opportunity to fulfill my love for community service. An organization that pushed me to be the best version of myself but was the shoulder to cry on when I thought I had fallen short. I have never felt so embraced in a room of people.

Our ideas of who we want to become when we grow up changes. I wanted to be a chemist when I was little, and now the word chemistry makes my hair stand on end. I never wanted to be in Greek life, but I wanted to be a leader, I wanted to be an influence on my community, and I wanted a to have a strong group of women by my side. Greek life gave me this and so much more.

Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us