This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

After the tide of the Arab Spring washed over Egypt in 2011, and shifts in leadership caused temporary political unrest, Egypt was closed off to tourism for quite some time. Only in the last 1-2 years has it become safer for tourists to come back to visit this magnificent country. I decided to take a hop over to Egypt earlier this month and was able to see the highlights of the country, from shopping in the famous Khan-Al-Khalili bazaar in Cairo to cruising the world’s longest river, the Nile, all within approximately 10 days.

I am a huge history buff, so the very next day after I landed in Cairo International Airport, I had to go see the Great Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx. No trip to Egypt is really complete without having seen the only remaining ancient wonder of the world. My stay in Cairo was at the beautiful Marriott, which was once a palace! It is only minutes away from the Egyptian museum, home to famous artifacts such as King Tut’s solid gold mask, and several sarcophagi.

After my days in Cairo, I took a flight down to Aswan, which is in the middle of the country. Here, the pace of life is a lot more relaxed, and the city is home to the Aswan high dam, a feat of engineering along the Nile river. For an adventurous day trip, we flew down to the Temple at Abu Simbel, an impressive complex created by Ramses II. This temple was at risk of being submerged by the Nile in the 20th century with the construction of the dam; thankfully, with international efforts, it was rescued and preserved for us to still see today.

Coming back to Aswan, I boarded a Nile cruise. The waters of this mighty river were peaceful, yet strong enough to support an entire civilization at one point in time. (and yes, there are crocodiles). Sailing along the temples of Edfu and Kom-ombo, and past the Valley of the Kings, I finally landed at Luxor, where the grand temple of Karnak is. The free-standing columns and obelisks, with very little erosion, are a jaw-dropping sight, and you can’t help but wonder how they made such intricate hieroglyphic carvings.

Just like that, my trip was over! It was stunning to see ancient relics in the most pristine condition, against a modern and thriving backdrop. The Egyptian people are friendly and welcome all who wish to respectfully learn about their culture. It’s a must for your bucket list!

Maya Patel is a pre-dental student at the University of Tampa. She loves to travel and open her eyes to the world around her, whether it is through reading, meeting new people, or learning about new cultures.
Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely