Do Millennial’s Really Have it Easy?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Most people assume that millennials have it easy in all realms of life, but they have to keep up with new approaches to dating, which comes with a whole new vocabulary. Modern dating has brought a wave of new terms. Some have even had the honor of making it into the dictionary. Terms like ghosting, which means to stop all forms of communication, after a few dates, out of no where. Life has become so fast paced that people who get ghosted don’t have time to care. They simply hop back on the dating sites or hit up someone they themselves have ghosted in the past. The term for communicating again with someone you’ve ghosted, out of the blue, is called zombie-ing.

Terms To Know

Breadcrumbing:

This is when someone continues to give you the hope you’ll be exclusive, but they have no intention of being tied down.

Stashing:

When someone doesn’t let your relationship see the light of day, but they keep you on the side for when they need you.

Cuffing:

During the Autumn and Winter months one will “cuff” themselves to another until the fun summer activities start again.

Common Dating Sites

Tinder

You can swipe left on someone’s dating account if you’re not interested. Swipe right if you are. If you both swipe right to one another, then it’s a match! After you’re matched, then you can message one another. And that’s where the chaos begins.

Bumble

Women get to begin conversations when both parties express interested. This helps keep creepy guys at bay. You also have only 24 hours to send a first message, or else they disappear. This helps you get out there because you’re motivated to talk to those you’re really interested in.

Match

You have to pay a monthly fee for using the site. This helps to weed out the ones who are only looking for a hookup. Meeting on a dating site you pay for usually means you both mean business.

The Crazier Side of Online Dating

Dating apps and websites have become more creative and more exclusive. Some people want their options for people to date to be narrowed down to a specific type or niche.

The League

You have to apply to get on this dating site and the waiting list is miles long. Their motto is “meet intelligently,” and they are marketing to those who have high standards. They send you potential prospects, so that you don’t have to sort through profiles. You pick out your ultra specific preferences and they find those that fit all your criteria.

Farmers Only

This dating site markets towards lonely farmer boys who just want a good country girl. Farmers are spread out in rural areas and this app puts them all in one place. A love for hunting and plaid are requirements to be on this dating sight. It could also be used for women who want to escape the city by marrying a farmer.

Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us