Campus Celebrity: Justine Deacon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Justine Deacon is a senior at the University of Tampa, and at only 22 years old has already accomplished so much. Coming from her hometown of Kingston, Jamaica, Justine is a Pre-Med, Biology major with a role in multiple organizations on campus.

Along with her impressive roles as a Pathways mentor and Lead Chairperson for Relay for Life, Justine has also been senior Telecounselor for the Telecounseling center, a tour guide for the Admissions office, and a member of Skull and Bones – a club for pre-professional students!

With so much on her plate, it’s hard to imagine she could find time for a social life, but Justine knows how important having a balance is. While she admits it can be tricky, she sees that life isn’t always about ambition, but also cutting herself a little slack and living a little. She is a fan of Post-Its that she keeps around her room to keep track of deadlines and assignments. After completing them, it leaves her time to enjoy time with friends or relaxing with wine and Greys Anatomy. She knows she only has one life, and she is determined to make the most of it.

Justine’s dream job is to one day become a physician, since she wants to give back to the world and make a direct influence on someone’s life. She not only wants to give back to the world, but she also wants to see change in it as well. She sees the inequality in the world and wishes for everyone to stop being judged based on their differences such as skin color, hair color, nationality.

When asked the best piece of advice she has ever received, Justine shared a quote her mother had written for her in a book four years ago; “Justine, remember God always, He will guide and protect you always, and never give up on your dream.”

Justine certainly seems to be going after her dreams, with her admirable presence on campus, and the noble humanity she has for the world, I can see Justine accomplishing anything she sets her heart to.

Fun fact about Justine, she loves animated movies! Whenever she watches Toy Story she can see herself in the movie and loves how they seem so happy in their little toy world.

If you want to know more about the amazing Justine, you should follow her on Instagram (justiney92) and twitter (jussy92).

My name is Leann Petschonek, and I am a Junior here at the University of Tampa studying Biology. I was originally born in Michigan, but moved to Florida when I was five, and loved the Sunshine State ever since (even though I am, Ironically, very VERY pale). I tend to be introverted in person, but I have a large voice on paper. You can usually find me reading a book- or glaring at one as I study, taking some pictures, or watching more television then I probably should.