Being the wrong candidate, but reaching for it anyways.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

This past week I decided to push myself and apply for a beyond incredible internship. It’s in the field I’m perusing, and it’s everything I’d want to do and more, not to mention the stipend isn’t too bad either. But with every good thing, there are negatives surrounding it. The internship would force me out of class next semester, putting me at least semester behind. This insane opportunity isn’t where I live now, but my lease has a strict no-sublease policy, so I’d be forced to pay my rent no matter where in the world I am. And all of the leadership opportunities I’ve acquired and am applying for, I’d have to step down from, including my HerCampus positions.

It’s strange growing up, and realizing you have to “adult.” After finding this internship on a whim and throwing my resume at it as fast as I could, I’m now stuck in a position of what if. What if, for some reason, they pick me? Not to say I’m the worst candidate, but I can’t even start the position until over two weeks after when the start day is listed because of classes. I would have to put my life on hold, but it may be worth it. What if this organization is my key to my next degree, or gets my foot in the door for a big interview. I’d get to live somewhere new for three months, and as someone who hates to be at a standstill it would be a great change of pace.

I always complain about my troubles with school, so stepping out of it may be the best idea.

The chances I even get an interview for this position are slim

Its nice to dream of the what ifs anyways.

Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us