5 Ways to Create a Positive Environment for Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

At first glance, college life is perfect. Parties, new friends, freedom, everything a young adult could ask for. But behind all of the Instagram pics are millions of stressed-out college students trying to balance homework, internships, classes, mental health, and a social life. Trying to maintain all of these things while still making it to your 8:00 am on time can be stressful and create a negative environment. a negative environment can have negative effects on not only your mental health, but your appearance, work ethic, and relationships. Fortunately, creating a positive environment can be done in 10 easy steps. 

1. Making a list 

Sounds simple right? Studies show that making a list is an easy an effective way to gain control over your day. Taking 5-10 minutes at the end of your night to make a list of all the things you need ( or even just want) to do the next day can help you feel more accomplished and in control of your day to day activities. 

2. Treating yourself

Everybody deserves a break, including you! Whether it’s eating some ice-cream, buying yourself those fashion nova jeans you want, or even just a facemask, te, and some Netflix, taking a break everyone in a while can make all the difference.

3. Create a safe space

It can be your room, your car, a friends house even your favorite park as long as you feel safe. Creating a safe space can give you time to think and reflect on your day. It’s also a good way to avoid a stressful situation. 

4. Dress the way you want to feel

The start to a good day can be as simples putting on that dress and doing your makeup in the morning. Looking good can evoke compliments and positive feedback that can create a sense of confidence in even the worst situations. 

5. Get an appropriate amount of sleep 

Lack of sleep can have a negative effect on your outlook on the day. The appropriate amount of sleep for college students is 6-6.9 hours, while the average amount needed well over 8 hours.