This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Not everyone enjoys being scared. While it may seem hard to find an actual scary movie that isn’t so scary, there are plenty of options. Whether you are trying to learn to like scary movies or are simply embarrassed by only liking scary movies made for 7-year-olds, here is a list of not so scary, scary movies to watch this fall.

1. Psycho (1960) This Alfred Hitchcock film is a classic scary movie. Since this movie is so old, there are no scenes where you see anything like blood or guts. You could definitely watch this thriller alone at night and not be afraid. 4/10 for overall scare. 

2. Scary Movie (2000) There are 5 Scary Movies that have come out over the years and they all are as funny as the last. These parody movies make fun of some of the scariest horror movies. Watching these will definitely make you laugh and may even help cure your fear of other horror movies. 1/10 overall scary. 

3. The Lovely Bones (2009) In this movie you are aware of who the murderer is from the start so there is no suspense as to what happened. The scare comes from the uneasiness of knowing the truth and watching the other characters struggle. The movie isn’t scary in a murder-y gory way but more of an on edge of seat kind of way. 5/10 for suspense 6/10 for overall scare.

4. The Blair Witch Project (1999) This movie has the potential to be scary if you are scared of magic or forests but overall it’s not too bad. There have been a couple sequels which do not compare to the original, but I would give this scary movie an 8/10 for suspense and 6/10 for overall scare.

5. The Shining (1980) Definitely the scariest out of this list but still not too scary overall. The Shining is a classic psychological horror that leaves you in suspense the whole film right until the end. Since it is older, you don’t see many disturbing images but being aware of what’s really happening while the characters are clueless is the scariest part. This movie may make you think about who to trust but it is a great film that manages to be scary without chainsaws and blood. 7/10 overall scare. 

Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely