Underground Chameleon Hunters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Anyone who is native to the diverse and chaotic state of Florida is bound to know that practically anything is possible while exploring one’s own backyard. Florida is home to thousands of species and, unfortunately, not all of them are native to our humble, humid, abode. As the sunshine state’s humid and sunny climate is perfect for invasive reptiles, it is not uncommon to hear tales of alligator-eating pythons and released exotic pets gone wild. But what if I told you there was more to this than just the careless errors on the part of humans?

Recently, a strange practice called “herping” has been brought to light in the media. Herpers are reptile enthusiasts that seek out chameleons in the back woods of Florida, often to adopt them. Herpers start off by getting tips and hints from secret online communities and forums. Then, these reptile enthusiasts set out at night to secret locations where people have reported spotting chameleons. Why search for these creatures in the dark when it is hard to see? At night, chameleons relax and turn a lime green color, making them much easier to find than when they are taking cover and camouflaging during the day.

Another, more lucrative practice is also being uncovered in the Florida back roads: chameleon ranching. Many exotic pet sellers found that breeding one’s own chameleons is much more profitable than having them imported, so they simply released breeding chameleons into the wild and came back a time later for their “harvest.” This not only eliminates importation costs, it also eliminates the cost of caring for chameleons while they breed. With some chameleons selling for up to 1,000 dollars, this is a very profitable, and very illegal practice.

According to The Everglades Cooperative Invasive Species Management Area, there are two species of chameleon known to be breeding in Florida. So why haven’t these chameleon ranchers been stopped? Due to the slow movement of chameleons and their less-invasive nature, most professionals are more concerned with other, more invasive species. This leads us to believe that unfortunately, until finding chameleons is prioritized, chameleon ranchers will continue their practices. Thankfully though, the herpers will keep herping and finding good homes for our unhurried, cold-blooded, Florida residents. 

Until next time!

Frankie 

Francesca / Frankie A cool gal from a hot place! Currently majoring in Education at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg   
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.