A Reflection on Freshman Year

Coming back to campus this fall for the start of my sophomore year brought back a lot of old feelings and memories of my first year at the University of South Florida. I still cannot believe how fast my freshman year went by. It seems like yesterday I was living in a dorm in The Village with my roommate I met on Instagram. 

Photo courtesy of me.me​

My freshman year was one of learning about myself. In the beginning, I had to figure out who I was on my own, without my parents, longtime friends and the comfort of my hometown. The first couple months felt rushed with challenging classes, hours of homework, friends and a sorority. I had new responsibilities and had to learn how to manage my time. 

Photo courtesy of thegcindex.com

At times, I felt overwhelmed, lost and as if I had no control over the course of my life. I was frequently worried and nervous about the future because I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life. Now, looking back on the girl I was in fall of last year really blows my mind because I wouldn’t even be able to recognize her today. 

It took me going through the uncertainty of my first semester in college to find out a little bit of who I am and form my own ideas about life. The most important and impactful things I’ve learned from my first year of college wasn’t in a classroom but from personal experience.

Photo courtesy of Educated Therapists 

I learned that you can’t control life and you just have to take it as it comes. All you can do is try your best, be respectful and be kind. If you can do that, the world will open up in the most exciting ways. I learned the importance of opening yourself up to new opportunities. I learned that, yes, you are going to fail, and what matters is how you get back up and keep going. I learned that, as a 19-year-old woman, I don’t have to have all the answers or know what I want to do for the rest of my life. 

Despite all of the ups and downs of my first year in college, I wouldn’t change anything for the world. It has helped me grow and has shaped me into the confident, determined woman I am now. 

Photo courtesy of Pinterest