Locks of Love- a haircut for a good cause

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

For a girl, hair is more than just protein that grows out of their head. What a girl’s hair looks like is almost as important as what they’re wearing. Many girls spend hours staring at the mirror trying out different hair styles and accessories because their hair is a part of who they are.

A girl’s hair can also act as a security blanket so when you chop a majority of it off, it takes some time getting use to your new look.

Now imagine a girl who has no say in losing all of her hair and I mean literally all of it. Then add in the terrible news that the reason she is losing all of her hair, and maybe even her life, is because she has cancer.

This is where the non-profit organization, Locks of Love, steps in. Locks of Love “provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis.”

I’ve always enjoyed doing community service, but the activities always just devoted my time to an organization and never a part of me. I’m too scared to donate blood, so when my hair was about to reach my hips, I decided I wanted a hair cut. I didn’t really want to cut my hair short, but I thought it would be a nice change and I thought it would be selfish not to donate. I reminded myself that my hair will grow back in no time and there are people out there who don’t even have a strand of hair on their head.

Then on January 3, I cut ten inches off of my hair and donated it to Locks of Love. It’s not the first time I’ve had short hair, but it was the most I’ve ever had cut off at one time. Even though I plan on growing my hair back out, I’m glad I donated because it feels great to know that I finally gave a piece of myself to help someone in need.

You should donate too!

• 10 inches measured tip to tip
  • Hair that is colored or permed is acceptable
  • Hair must be in a ponytail or braid before it is cut
  • Hair must be clean and completely dry before it is mailed in
  • Place the ponytail or braid inside of a plastic bag, and then inside of a padded envelope
  • Even if your hair isn’t long enough for Locks of Love to make a wig, still donate! They can sell the hair to offset the manufacturing costs.

Me in Ireland last summer with long hair.

Preparing to cut it off for donation to Locks of Love!

I'm majoring in mass communications with a track in production and I'm also minoring in theatre. My career aspiration is to work for a movie trailer post-production studio. I'm involved on campus with Hillel Jewish Student Union and Phi Sigma Pi.