Thanksgiving Eve: Expectation vs. Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

For college students, the night before Thanksgiving is almost as exciting as Christmas morning. Nationally, this day is known as one of the biggest drinking days of the year. For college students, this is a chance to continue all of our bad college habits at home. You haven’t seen your friends in months and your parents no longer care what time you’re home. That sounds like a recipe for celebration, if you ask me. Regardless of your plans for the night, there is some truth behind the expectations and reality of Thanksgiving Eve.

Meeting up with your hometown best friends.

Expectations: You all meet up around the same time and blast your favorite music while getting ready together and catching up. 

Reality: Everyone’s running late and since you’re all back at your parents house, finding somewhere to get ready uninterrupted is going to be a little more difficult than expected. 

Getting to the bar.

Expectation: A nice chance to talk and catch up on what everyone’s been up to.

Reality: Five people end up cramming into whichever friends-younger-sibling’s car that you’ve all decided to make the DD that night.

Going out to your hometown bar.

Expectation:

Reality: Um, who are all these old people? Is that my uncle over there?

Seeing your highschool ex.

Expectation: Play it cool, after all you’re so over him.

Reality: WHO IS THAT GIRL HE’S TALKING TO?

Seeing your highschool enemy.

Expectation: You can’t wait to show off your new outfit and show them how much better looking you’ve gotten since college. Betting that she’s probably still as bitter and petty as she was in highschool…

Reality: You end up bonding over a couple drinks and wait…she’s actually pretty cool?! Why was it that you both never got along in the first place?

Late-night food.

Expectation: Let’s go out to our favorite diner from back in the day! 

Reality: Get there only to discover that this isn’t a college town and “late night” in the real world is usually only until 11pm. Guess you’ll just have to wait to feast until tomorrow!

Being hungover on Thanksgiving.

Expectation:

Reality:

Because, after all…