Pirulo y la Tribu Take Over UPRM

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Hundreds of members from the University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez’s community and its extension, assisted to the acclaimed presentation of Pirulo y la Tribu, last Thursday, March 19th- as the closing act for “Cinco Días con Nuestra Tierra” Educational Fair.

The crowd could not resist dancing to this salsa phenomenon’s opening musical theme “Ya llegó” and to his killer skills on the timbales. This energetic start gave way for Pirulo and his unique musicians to keep the audience moving their feet throughout the whole concert.

Pirulo y la Tribu came to the UPRM as part of Presencias-Proyecto Integral de Cultura after a long year of being the new music sensation; not only for salsa fanatics, but to a new audience of young people. The famous timbalero said: “I think Puerto Rico, from some time-with the respect a lot of artists have-has not had a personality that represents the voice of the people. I speak in ‘arroz y habichuelas’ and I work with my heart. I’m not saying other artists don’t, but I create music that represents the masses, independently from- if you are a salsero or not.” (trans.)

Presencias scheduled this special concert as part of their series of cultural promotion events throughout the semester around the UPRM campus. Thursday’s unique concert was definitely a cultural impact for the audience, as they received the performer with excitement and maintained that excitement until the end.  Nevertheless, the crowd was not the only one who was impressed, the own Pirulo said: “ I feel super privileged every time I get the opportunity to visit any university, of coming to events of young people who are fighting –it’s what motivates me, it’s my speech. I am a lover of my motherland, so being in an event that promotes precisely this, it honors me.” (trans.)

After a nine-song repertoire, Pirulo y la Tribu closed with their hit song, “Loco pero feliz”. The group gave all they had, showing the crowd their impressive skills as salsa musicians.

One of the main focuses of the event is promoting the arts and culture itself as a shelter for people. To this, the singer and percussionist commented: “ It may sound a bit clichéd, but truly I tell young people ‘ no te quites’, this is why I am here at this stage, because of not giving up. You have to take chances, leave fear behind. It’s what I say in my own music: whatever it is that you want to do, do it with all of your soul, believe in yourself. Whatever it may be: either an artist, mechanist, engineer-‘métele con el corazón’.” (trans.)

Photo credit to Fernando E. Correa

Mónica Ocasio is a senior majoring in comparative literature, with a minor in Italian at the University of Puerto Rico- Mayagüez. Born, raised and living in Puerto Rico, Mónica has always enjoyed reading a good book, spending time with her family and baking.